Romans 14:13 — Let Us Not Judge One Another | Bible Prayer Journal
“Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.” — Romans 14:13 (KJV)
Grace • Christian Liberty • Love • Self-Examination • Unity • Responsibility Toward Others
Introduction
Romans 14:13 turns our attention away from examining other believers and toward examining ourselves. In Romans 14, Paul addresses disagreements among Christians concerning matters such as food and the observance of particular days. Rather than allowing these differences to produce contempt, condemnation, or division, believers were to remember that each servant ultimately answers to the Lord.
Paul makes a deliberate play on the idea of judging: instead of deciding to judge our brother or sister, we should “judge this rather”—make a firm determination that our own conduct will not become a spiritual obstacle to another believer.
This does not mean Christians should never exercise biblical discernment concerning sin or doctrine. The immediate context concerns disputable matters of conscience, where Scripture does not command every believer to practice the matter identically.
Expository Insight
“Let us not therefore judge one another any more”
Paul is addressing a judgmental spirit that condemns another believer over matters of conscience.
Romans 14 presents believers at different levels of conviction. One might eat certain foods while another abstains. One might esteem a particular day while another does not.
Paul's instruction is not:
“Everyone must have exactly the same personal conviction.”
Instead, believers must learn to honor Christ while extending grace toward one another.
“But judge this rather”
Here Paul redirects judgment inward.
Before asking:
“What is wrong with them?”
I should ask:
“Could my conduct unnecessarily hinder them?”
Christian maturity includes examining the effect our freedom has upon other people.
“That no man put a stumblingblock”
The Greek word proskomma refers to something that causes another person to stumble.
Spiritually, it describes conduct that may become an obstacle in another believer's walk with God.
Something may be permissible for me while still being unwise in a particular situation because of its effect upon someone else.
“Or an occasion to fall”
Paul intensifies the warning. Christian liberty must never become an excuse for carelessness toward another person's spiritual well-being.
Love asks more than:
“Am I allowed to do this?”
Love also asks:
“How might my actions affect my brother or sister?”
Biblical Balance
Romans 14:13 does not teach that believers must ignore everything another Christian does.
Scripture still instructs believers to:
Discern truth from error
Correct in love
Restore those overtaken in sin
Test teaching according to Scripture
Practice church discipline when biblically required
Paul's concern in Romans 14 is specifically the condemnation of fellow believers over disputable matters and personal convictions.
That distinction is essential.
Heart Examination
Have I judged another believer because their personal convictions differ from mine?
Have I confused my personal preference with a biblical commandment?
Could something I freely practice become a stumbling block for someone spiritually weaker?
Do my words build other believers up or make their walk with Christ more difficult?
What I Need to Surrender
A judgmental attitude:
Pride:
The need to prove I am right:
Insensitivity toward another person's conscience:
My Prayer
Heavenly Father,
Search my heart and reveal every place where I have judged another person unfairly. Forgive me when I have treated my personal convictions as though they were Your commandments.
Give me wisdom to distinguish between clear biblical truth and matters where faithful believers may hold different convictions.
Teach me to walk in Christian liberty without becoming careless about my influence upon others. Help me consider how my words, decisions, and example affect my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Remove pride, criticism, and self-righteousness from my heart. Give me compassion for those who are growing, patience with those whose convictions differ from mine, and courage to stand firmly where Your Word clearly speaks.
Lord, make my life a help rather than a hindrance. May my conduct encourage others toward Christ rather than place obstacles in their path.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Personal Application
Today, before criticizing another believer, I will first examine my own heart. I will distinguish between God's commands and my personal convictions. Where Scripture allows Christian liberty, I will choose love, patience, and consideration for the spiritual well-being of others.
Key Truth
Christian maturity is not demonstrated merely by exercising freedom, but by possessing enough love to consider how that freedom affects another believer.
Prayer Journal
Lord, what attitude are You asking me to examine?
Is there someone I need to extend greater grace toward?
How can I encourage rather than hinder someone today?
My prayer today:
Faith Declaration
I will walk in truth without condemnation, liberty without selfishness, and conviction without pride. By God's grace, I will seek to strengthen—not stumble—my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Comments
Post a Comment