Colossians 1:12 — Giving Thanks to the Father | Prayer Journal
“Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light.” — Colossians 1:12 (KJV)
Thanksgiving • Grace • Inheritance • Identity in Christ • Walking in the Light
Introduction
Colossians 1:12 calls the believer to live with a heart of thanksgiving. Paul reminds us that our spiritual inheritance is not something we earned by our own goodness. The Father has made us fit to share in the inheritance of His people.
The word translated “meet” means qualified, made sufficient, or made fit. God has done for us what we could not accomplish for ourselves. Through His saving work in Christ, He brings us from darkness into light and gives us a place among His people.
This gives us a powerful reason to pray with thanksgiving rather than approaching God only with our needs.
Expository Insight
“Giving thanks unto the Father” — Thanksgiving should be an ongoing characteristic of the Christian life. Paul directs our gratitude specifically toward the Father as the One who initiated His saving purpose.
“Which hath made us meet” — We did not qualify ourselves. God made us sufficient to participate in what He has prepared for His people. Our confidence therefore rests in His grace rather than personal achievement.
“To be partakers” — A partaker is one who has a share or portion. In Christ, believers are not outsiders looking at God's promises from a distance. They have been graciously brought into God's covenant blessings.
“Of the inheritance” — Inheritance language reaches deeply into Scripture. Israel received an inheritance in the promised land, but the New Testament develops the theme further: believers possess a spiritual inheritance in Christ and anticipate its complete realization in God's coming kingdom.
“Of the saints in light” — Light represents the realm of God's holiness, truth, life, and presence. The following verse strengthens the contrast: God has delivered believers from the authority of darkness and transferred them into the kingdom of His beloved Son.
Key Truth
My inheritance in Christ is not based upon my ability to make myself worthy. God has qualified me by His grace, and therefore I can approach Him with thanksgiving.
Reflection
What am I thankful to my Heavenly Father for today?
Where have I been trying to prove myself instead of resting in God's grace?
What does it mean to me personally that I am a partaker of God's inheritance?
My Prayer
Heavenly Father,
I give You thanks for what You have accomplished for me through Jesus Christ. Thank You that I did not have to earn my place in Your family or make myself worthy of Your inheritance. You have qualified me by Your grace.
Teach me to live as one who belongs to the light. Remove attitudes, thoughts, habits, and desires that belong to darkness. Help me walk in holiness, truth, gratitude, and obedience.
When I feel inadequate, remind me that my confidence is not in myself but in what You have accomplished through Christ. Help me appreciate the inheritance You have given Your people and live each day worthy of the calling I have received.
Let thanksgiving continually rise from my heart—not only because of what You give me, but because of who You are and what You have made me through Christ.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Today's Gratitude
Father, today I thank You for:
Personal Application
Today I will intentionally thank God for my salvation and spiritual inheritance. Rather than allowing inadequacy to control my thoughts, I will remember that God is the One who has qualified me through Christ. I will seek to live as a child of light through my words, decisions, relationships, and conduct.
Prayer Journal
What I am bringing before God today:
What God is teaching me through Colossians 1:12:
Answered Prayer / Testimony:
Faith Declaration
I give thanks to my Father. Through Christ, He has qualified me to share in the inheritance of His people. I will walk in His light with gratitude, faith, and obedience.
Comments
Post a Comment