Obadiah 1:4 — Though Thou Exalt Thyself as the Eagle
“Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the
stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.”
Introduction
Obadiah 1:4 is a powerful warning against pride, self-exaltation, and false security.
The nation of Edom believed itself to be secure. Its mountainous territory and fortified positions gave its people confidence that enemies could not easily reach them. Yet God declared that no height was high enough to place Edom beyond His judgment.
The language is striking:
“Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle...”
The eagle soars above the earth and builds its nest in high and difficult places. God uses this picture to describe Edom's confidence in its elevated position.
Then He intensifies the imagery:
“Though thou set thy nest among the stars...”
Even if Edom could rise beyond every human enemy, it could never rise beyond the authority of God.
The message is unmistakable:
What man exalts, God can bring down.
Historical Background
Obadiah is the shortest book in the Old Testament, consisting of only twenty-one verses. Its primary message concerns God's judgment against Edom.
The Edomites were descendants of Esau, the brother of Jacob.
Genesis 36:1
“Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.”
This family relationship makes Edom's hostility toward Judah especially significant. Obadiah condemns Edom not only for pride but also for its conduct when Jerusalem experienced calamity.
God said:
Obadiah 1:10
“For thy violence against thy brother Jacob shame shall cover thee, and thou shalt be cut off for ever.”
Instead of helping their brother nation, the Edomites stood aloof, rejoiced over Judah's destruction, participated in plundering, and obstructed fugitives.
But before describing these sins in detail, God exposes the attitude underneath them:
Pride.
Obadiah 1:3 says:
“The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee...”
Edom's geography contributed to its confidence. Much of Edom was associated with rugged mountainous terrain south and southeast of Judah. Strongholds situated among rocky heights could appear extremely difficult to conquer.
Their physical elevation became a picture of their spiritual condition.
They were high geographically, but they had also become high in their own estimation.
God therefore declared:
“Thence will I bring thee down.”
“Though Thou Exalt Thyself”
The first danger exposed in this verse is self-exaltation.
God says:
“Though thou exalt thyself...”
Notice who is doing the exalting.
Edom was exalting itself.
There is a significant difference between being elevated by God and elevating ourselves.
Scripture repeatedly warns against pride.
Proverbs 16:18
“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”
Pride changes how we see ourselves.
It can make us believe:
I cannot fall.
I do not need correction.
I do not need anyone.
I know better.
Nothing can touch me.
My position will protect me.
But pride is deceptive.
Obadiah 1:3 specifically says:
“The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee.”
Sometimes the first person deceived by pride is the proud person.
“As the Eagle”
The eagle provides a vivid picture.
“Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle...”
Eagles are associated with great heights. From man's perspective, something positioned high above the ground may appear inaccessible.
Edom apparently thought of itself in similar terms.
Their location provided natural defenses.
But their mistake was confusing difficulty for man with impossibility for God.
There is an enormous difference.
Something may be beyond human reach without being beyond God's reach.
No earthly fortress can prevent God from accomplishing His purpose.
“Though Thou Set Thy Nest Among the Stars”
The imagery now becomes even greater:
“and though thou set thy nest among the stars...”
This is poetic language describing extreme elevation.
God is essentially saying:
Go as high as you possibly can.
Build the strongest fortress.
Create the greatest defense.
Acquire power.
Gain wealth.
Establish influence.
Surround yourself with protection.
Yet none of these things can place a person or nation outside God's sovereignty.
The imagery reminds us that human beings can never elevate themselves beyond their Creator.
“Thence Will I Bring Thee Down”
Here is the turning point:
“thence will I bring thee down...”
Edom said in its heart:
“Who shall bring me down to the ground?”
— Obadiah 1:3
God answers that question in verse 4.
“I will bring thee down.”
Edom was looking around for a human enemy capable of defeating them.
They should have looked upward.
Their greatest problem was not whether another nation could reach them.
Their greatest problem was that God could.
This is one of the central lessons of Obadiah.
Human strength has limits.
Human power has limits.
Human wealth has limits.
Human influence has limits.
But God's authority has no such limits.
“Saith the LORD”
The verse ends:
“saith the LORD.”
These words establish the authority behind the judgment.
This was not merely Obadiah's prediction.
The LORD had spoken.
Edom's circumstances might have suggested security, but God's Word declared judgment.
When circumstances and God's Word appear to contradict one another, God's Word remains authoritative.
Edom looked secure.
God said they would fall.
Edom considered itself unreachable.
God said He would reach them.
Edom exalted itself.
God said He would bring them down.
The final word belonged to the LORD.
Observations
1. Pride can deceive the heart.
Obadiah 1:3 identifies pride as the source of Edom's false confidence.
2. Position can create false security.
Edom trusted its elevated strongholds, but geography could not protect it from God.
3. Self-exaltation is dangerous.
There is a difference between God raising someone up and someone attempting to exalt themselves.
4. Nothing is beyond God's reach.
Even if Edom could metaphorically build its nest among the stars, God declared, “thence will I bring thee down.”
5. External strength can hide internal weakness.
Edom appeared secure while spiritually standing under judgment.
6. Pride often produces mistreatment of others.
Edom's pride was accompanied by violence and a lack of compassion toward Judah.
7. God sees the condition of the heart.
Before describing Edom's outward actions, God addressed “the pride of thine heart.”
8. God's Word has the final authority.
The verse concludes, “saith the LORD.” Edom's opinion of its own security could not overturn God's declaration.
Personal Application
Obadiah 1:4 causes me to examine where I have placed my security.
It is possible to trust in things God has allowed me to possess rather than trusting the God who gave them.
I can become secure in my position.
Secure in my finances.
Secure in my knowledge.
Secure in my accomplishments.
Secure in my ministry.
Secure in my reputation.
Secure in my own understanding.
But none of these should take the place of dependence upon God.
I must also examine my heart for subtle forms of self-exaltation.
Pride is not always loud.
Sometimes pride appears as refusing correction.
Sometimes it appears as believing I cannot be wrong.
Sometimes it appears as comparing myself with others.
Sometimes it appears as taking credit for what God has enabled me to accomplish.
Sometimes it appears as believing that because God has used me, I no longer need humility.
Scripture teaches the opposite.
James 4:10
“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.”
I do not have to exalt myself.
My responsibility is to humble myself before God and allow Him to determine where I stand.
Reflection Questions
What caused Edom to believe it was secure?
According to Obadiah 1:3, what had deceived Edom?
Why does God compare Edom's self-exaltation to an eagle?
What does “set thy nest among the stars” communicate about Edom's confidence?
What is the significance of God's words, “thence will I bring thee down”?
How did Edom's pride affect the way it treated Judah?
What things can people trust in today instead of trusting God?
Is there an area of my life where success, knowledge, position, possessions, or recognition has produced pride?
How do I respond when God's Word corrects me?
Am I trying to exalt myself, or am I willing to humble myself and allow God to lift me according to His will?
Closing Prayer
Heavenly Father, search my heart and reveal every place where pride has taken root.
Do not allow success, knowledge, possessions, position, ministry, or the praise of people to cause me to exalt myself. Teach me to remember that everything I have and everything I am able to accomplish comes by Your grace.
Guard me from the deception of pride.
When I begin trusting in my own strength, remind me that You alone are my security. When I think I know better, make me teachable. When correction comes through Your Word, give me humility to receive it.
Help me never to look down upon another person or rejoice when someone else falls. Give me compassion, mercy, and a humble heart.
Your Word declares that even if man should set his nest among the stars, You are still able to bring him down.
Therefore, I choose not to exalt myself.
Teach me to walk humbly before You and to remember:
“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.”
In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment