Matthew 7:21 — Not Everyone Who Says, Lord, Lord | Bible Prayer Journal

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” — Matthew 7:21 (KJV)

Obedience • Kingdom of Heaven • Doing God's Will • Genuine Discipleship • Self-Examination • Lordship of Christ

Introduction

Matthew 7:21 is one of Jesus' strongest calls to self-examination and genuine discipleship. It appears near the conclusion of the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus distinguishes between merely hearing His words and actually living according to them.

Calling Jesus “Lord” is a serious confession, but Jesus warns that words alone do not demonstrate genuine submission to Him. A profession of faith that continually refuses God's will contradicts the lordship being confessed.

Jesus therefore directs attention beyond religious language to a transformed life characterized by obedience to the Father.


Expository Insight

“Not every one that saith unto me”

Jesus distinguishes between profession and possession.

A person can:

  • Speak religious language

  • Know biblical terminology

  • Participate in religious activities

  • Publicly call Jesus Lord

while still resisting God's authority.

Jesus calls us to examine whether our confession is accompanied by obedience.


“Lord, Lord”

The repetition communicates emphasis and earnestness.

The Greek word Kyrios means:

Lord • Master • One possessing authority

Calling Jesus “Lord” therefore acknowledges His authority.

But Jesus' question is essentially:

Does my life agree with what my mouth confesses?

If He is Lord, His Word must have authority over my decisions.


“Shall Enter Into the Kingdom of Heaven”

Jesus places this warning in the context of entrance into God's Kingdom.

The Kingdom of heaven concerns God's reign and rule. Therefore, genuine discipleship cannot be separated from submission to the King.

Jesus is not teaching salvation by earning enough good works. Rather, throughout the Sermon on the Mount, obedience functions as evidence of a life genuinely oriented toward God.

Grace does not make obedience unnecessary.

Grace produces a life that increasingly desires to obey God.


“But He That Doeth”

Jesus emphasizes doing.

Hearing God's Word is necessary.

Knowing God's Word is important.

Teaching God's Word carries responsibility.

But Jesus repeatedly emphasizes putting His teaching into practice.

This prepares for Matthew 7:24:

“Whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them…”

The wise disciple both hears and does.


“The Will of My Father”

The central question becomes:

What does my Father desire?

God's will is not merely something mysterious that we must continually search for. Much of His will has already been revealed through Scripture.

His Word teaches us to:

Love God.

Love our neighbor.

Forgive.

Walk humbly.

Practice righteousness sincerely.

Reject hypocrisy.

Seek God's Kingdom.

Speak truth.

Show mercy.

Obey Christ.

Therefore, prayer should not only ask:

“Lord, what will You do for me?”

It should also ask:

“Father, what would You have me do?”


Heart Examination

Is Jesus merely someone I call Lord, or am I submitting to His authority?



Is there something Scripture clearly teaches that I have been resisting?



Do my private decisions agree with my public profession?



Am I seeking God's will or asking Him to approve my own?



What act of obedience is God requiring from me today?



Lord, Search My Heart

Where have my words exceeded my obedience?



Where have I delayed obeying God?



What must I surrender?



What truth must I begin practicing?



My Prayer

Heavenly Father,

Search my heart and examine my life.

I do not want merely to speak about You while resisting Your will. I do not want my confession to be only words while my decisions tell a different story.

Teach me genuine obedience.

Where I have knowingly resisted Your Word, correct me. Where pride has ruled me, humble me. Where I have practiced outward religion without inward surrender, bring me into deeper repentance.

Jesus, You are Lord. Let that confession become visible in how I live.

Help me hear Your Word and do what You say. Give me a heart that desires the Father's will above my own desires.

May my private life agree with my public confession. May my obedience come from faith, love, and a heart transformed by Your grace.

Teach me to seek first Your Kingdom and Your righteousness and to live every day under Your authority.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Personal Application

Today I will identify one command of Scripture that I already understand and intentionally put it into practice. Instead of seeking additional revelation while neglecting what God has already shown me, I will respond to His Word with obedience.

What I Already Know God Requires



What I Will Do About It Today



Key Truth

Calling Jesus “Lord” must be more than religious language. Genuine discipleship is demonstrated by a life increasingly surrendered to the Father's will and obedient to Christ's Word.

Prayer Journal

Father, what are You showing me about my obedience?



Where does my life need to agree with my confession?



What must I surrender today?



What will obedience look like today?



My Prayer




Faith Declaration

Jesus Christ is Lord. I desire more than a verbal confession—I desire a surrendered life. By God's grace, I will hear His Word, seek the Father's will, and walk in faithful obedience.







Comments

Visitors