Matthew 11:25 — A Humble Heart Before God | Bible Page Journal
“At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.” — Matthew 11:25 (KJV)
Theme
Humility • Spiritual Revelation • Teach ability • Knowing God • Dependence upon the Father • Kingdom Truth
Introduction
Matthew 11:25 records a prayer of Jesus to the Father. After addressing people who had witnessed His mighty works yet remained unrepentant, Jesus thanked the Father because divine truth was being revealed to those described as “babes.”
Jesus was not condemning education, wisdom, or careful study. The contrast concerns spiritual posture. Human intelligence, status, or religious knowledge cannot replace a humble heart that receives what God reveals.
The “babes” are those who approach God with dependence and teach ability rather than self-sufficiency.
Expository Insight
“At that time Jesus answered”
Jesus' prayer must be understood in the context of Matthew 11.
Some had witnessed His works and still refused to repent. Yet Jesus did not conclude that God's purposes had failed. Instead, He turned toward His Father in thanksgiving.
This teaches us that when people reject truth, God remains sovereign and His purposes remain sure.
“I thank thee, O Father”
Jesus addresses God intimately as Father.
The Greek word translated “thank” here can carry the sense of acknowledging, confessing, or openly praising God.
Jesus recognizes the Father's wisdom and sovereign purpose.
Prayer therefore includes more than presenting requests. Prayer also involves acknowledging who God is and agreeing with His wisdom.
“Lord of heaven and earth”
The Father is not merely Lord over one nation, geographical region, or people.
He is Lord of heaven and earth.
Everything belongs under His authority.
When circumstances confuse us, prayer reminds us that God still reigns.
“Thou Hast Hid These Things”
Jesus says certain truths were hidden from the “wise and prudent.”
This does not mean God opposes knowledge.
Scripture repeatedly encourages wisdom, understanding, and knowledge of God's Word.
The issue is self-sufficient wisdom—the attitude that assumes human reasoning alone is sufficient to comprehend the things of God.
A person can possess considerable knowledge while remaining spiritually resistant.
“The Wise and Prudent”
The Greek ideas behind these words concern those considered:
Wise — sophos
Skilled, learned, knowledgeable, or wise.
Prudent — synetos
Intelligent, discerning, or understanding.
Neither quality is inherently sinful.
The warning concerns those who become confident in their own understanding while refusing God's revelation.
Knowledge accompanied by humility can serve God.
Knowledge accompanied by pride can become a barrier to receiving truth.
“Revealed Them Unto Babes”
The Greek word nēpios literally refers to an infant or very young child.
Jesus uses the image figuratively.
The “babes” are not necessarily intellectually immature people. They represent those who recognize their dependence upon God.
A child receives.
A child depends.
A child must be taught.
Likewise, spiritual understanding requires a heart willing to say:
“Father, teach me.”
Revelation and the Holy Spirit
Jesus' words establish an important biblical principle:
Spiritual truth must be received from God.
This does not eliminate diligent Bible study. Rather, prayer and study belong together.
We study:
Context
History
Language
Grammar
Biblical themes
Supporting Scriptures
But we also recognize our dependence upon the Holy Spirit for spiritual understanding and faithful application.
Jesus later said concerning the Holy Spirit:
“He will guide you into all truth.” — John 16:13
Therefore, biblical study should never become merely an intellectual exercise.
We study with an open Bible and a humble heart.
Heart Examination
Do I approach Scripture assuming I already know what it says, or asking God to teach me?
Has pride ever prevented me from receiving correction from God's Word?
Am I willing to change a long-held belief when Scripture clearly shows me something different?
Where do I need greater dependence upon the Holy Spirit?
Before I Study God's Word
Father, remove from me:
Pride: ______________________________________________
Preconceived ideas: __________________________________
Self-reliance: ________________________________________
Distractions: _________________________________________
Fear of correction: ___________________________________
Father, Reveal Your Truth to Me
What passage am I studying today?
What does the text actually say?
What is God teaching me through His Word?
How must I respond?
My Prayer
Heavenly Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
I thank You for Your Word and for the truth You reveal through Jesus Christ.
Give me a humble and teachable heart. Protect me from believing that knowledge alone makes me spiritually mature. Keep pride, self-reliance, and preconceived ideas from preventing me from hearing what Your Word actually says.
When I open the Scriptures, teach me.
Give me wisdom to study carefully, patience to examine the context, discernment to distinguish truth from error, and humility to receive correction.
Holy Spirit, guide me into truth according to the Word of God. Help me never manipulate Scripture to support what I already want to believe.
Father, make me like the “babes” Jesus described—not childish in understanding, but completely dependent upon You.
Reveal Christ more clearly to me, transform my understanding, and let the truth I learn become truth that I live.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Personal Application
Before studying Scripture today, I will ask God to make my heart teachable. I will not approach His Word merely looking for confirmation of what I already believe. I will carefully examine what Scripture says and allow God's truth to correct, instruct, and transform me.
Key Truth
Spiritual understanding is not produced by human intelligence alone. God reveals His truth to those who approach Him with humility, dependence, and a willingness to be taught.
Prayer Journal
What is the Father teaching me today?
What truth have I overlooked?
Where is God correcting my understanding?
What will I do with what He has shown me?
Faith Declaration
I will approach God's Word with humility. I will study diligently, remain teachable, and depend upon the Father for understanding. I desire not merely to know Scripture, but to receive its truth and live according to it.
Comments
Post a Comment