Psalm 24:1 - The Earth Is the Lord’s
“The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.”
Psalm 24 begins with a magnificent declaration: everything belongs to God. David does not begin by describing what mankind possesses, builds, controls, or accomplishes. He begins with the LORD.
“The earth is the LORD'S.”
This establishes God’s ownership before anything else is discussed. The earth is not ultimately man's possession. Nations may establish borders, individuals may own property, and rulers may exercise authority, but above every earthly claim stands the greater truth that the earth belongs to the LORD.
The Earth Is the LORD’S
The opening statement takes us back to creation.
Genesis 1:1 KJV:
“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
God's ownership is rooted in His creative authority. He did not inherit the earth, purchase it from another, or receive it from someone greater than Himself. He created it.
The mountains are His.
The oceans are His.
The fields are His.
The animals are His.
The resources hidden beneath the earth are His.
The heavens above us are His.
Creation bears witness that there is a Creator to whom everything ultimately belongs.
“And the Fulness Thereof”
David goes even further:
“and the fulness thereof.”
The earth itself belongs to God, but so does everything that fills it.
Its abundance, resources, creatures, vegetation, harvests, treasures, and provisions exist because God created a world capable of sustaining life.
This truth should change the way we think about possession.
We commonly say:
My house.
My money.
My land.
My abilities.
My ministry.
My possessions.
There is nothing wrong with describing the things entrusted to us this way. Yet Psalm 24:1 reminds us that behind our temporary possession stands God's ultimate ownership.
We are owners in a limited earthly sense, but spiritually we are stewards.
Everything we possess has been placed into our hands for a season.
“The World, and They That Dwell Therein”
The verse now moves from creation to humanity:
“the world, and they that dwell therein.”
Not only does the earth belong to God—the people living upon it belong to Him by right of creation.
Human beings are not self-created.
Our breath is a gift.
Our bodies are a gift.
Our abilities are gifts.
Our opportunities are gifts.
Our very existence testifies that we are dependent creatures rather than independent creators.
Psalm 24:1 therefore confronts human pride. We can become so accustomed to God's gifts that we begin behaving as though we are their source.
But Scripture reminds us:
Psalm 100:3 KJV:
“Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves...”
We did not make ourselves.
God Is Both Creator and King
Psalm 24 eventually asks:
“Who is this King of glory?” — Psalm 24:8
This helps us understand the larger message of the psalm.
The God who owns the earth in verse 1 is later proclaimed as the King of glory.
Creation belongs to a King.
This means Psalm 24:1 is more than a beautiful statement about nature. It is a declaration concerning divine sovereignty.
God has authority over what He created.
Human governments change.
Kingdoms rise and fall.
Generations come and go.
Possessions pass from one person to another.
But God's ownership never expires.
The earth remains the LORD'S.
Stewardship Changes the Question
When I understand Psalm 24:1, I stop asking only:
“What do I own?”
and begin asking:
“What has God entrusted to me?”
That changes how I view money, property, time, gifts, relationships, opportunities, and ministry.
If everything belongs to God, then I should desire to use what He has given me in a way that honors Him.
My resources become stewardship.
My abilities become stewardship.
My time becomes stewardship.
My influence becomes stewardship.
Even the opportunities God gives me become something for which I should give account.
Personal Application
Psalm 24:1 invites me to examine my relationship with the things God has placed into my hands.
Have I begun treating God's blessings as though they originated with me?
Am I grateful for what He has provided?
Am I faithfully caring for what He has entrusted to me?
Am I using my time, resources, gifts, and abilities for purposes that honor Him?
This verse teaches me to hold God's blessings with gratitude rather than pride and with stewardship rather than selfishness.
When I look at creation, I should remember its Creator.
When I receive provision, I should remember its Source.
When I experience increase, I should remember the One who gave me the ability and opportunity to receive it.
And when something entrusted to me changes or passes away, I can remember that my ultimate security was never supposed to rest in created things.
It rests in the Lord who owns them all.
A Truth to Carry With Me
Everything I possess is ultimately God's, everything I see bears witness to His creative power, and everything entrusted to me should be handled as a faithful steward before Him.
Prayer
Father, I acknowledge that the earth is Yours and all the fulness thereof. You are the Creator of heaven and earth, and everything that exists ultimately belongs to You.
Thank You for the life, provision, abilities, resources, opportunities, and blessings You have entrusted to me.
Forgive me for the times I have acted as though Your gifts were entirely my own. Deliver my heart from pride, selfishness, greed, and ingratitude.
Teach me to become a faithful steward.
Show me how to use my time wisely, handle my resources faithfully, exercise my gifts responsibly, and honor You with everything You place into my hands.
When I look upon the earth, let me see evidence of Your wisdom and creative power. When I receive Your provision, let gratitude rise in my heart.
May I never worship the creation above the Creator.
You are the Lord of the earth, the Lord of its fulness, and the King of glory.
Everything belongs to You.
In Jesus Christ's name, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment