Hebrews 13:6 — The Lord Is My Helper: Living Without Fear
Introduction
What does it mean to confidently declare, "The Lord is my helper"?
Hebrews 13:6 reminds believers that our confidence should not rest upon our possessions, financial security, human relationships, or circumstances. Our confidence must rest upon the faithfulness of God.
Throughout our lives, we will encounter circumstances that challenge our faith. We may experience financial difficulties, opposition, uncertainty, disappointment, or situations beyond our control.
Yet the writer of Hebrews reminds us that we are never without divine help.
God has promised never to leave nor forsake His people. Because of that promise, we can confidently declare that the Lord is our helper.
Our confidence does not come from the absence of trouble but from the presence and faithfulness of God.
Historical Background
The Epistle to the Hebrews was written to Christians who were familiar with the Hebrew Scriptures, the priesthood, the sacrificial system, and God's covenant promises to Israel.
The human author is not identified in the letter, and its precise date remains uncertain. Many scholars place its composition in the first century, before or around the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.
The original recipients had experienced suffering, public reproach, and the loss of possessions because of their faith.
Hebrews 10:34 describes how they had endured the spoiling of their goods, knowing that they possessed a better and enduring inheritance.
The writer encouraged these believers to remain faithful to Jesus Christ rather than abandon their confidence during persecution.
In Hebrews 13, the emphasis turns toward practical Christian living. The chapter addresses brotherly love, hospitality, marriage, contentment, spiritual leadership, and faithful obedience.
Immediately before Hebrews 13:6, the writer instructs believers to live without covetousness and to be content with what they possess.
He then reminds them of God's promise:
Hebrews 13:5 (KJV)
"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
This promise provides the foundation for the confident declaration in verse 6.
Scripture and Exposition
Hebrews 13:6 (KJV)
"So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."
1. "So that we may boldly say"
The word boldly expresses confidence and courage.
The writer is not encouraging believers to become arrogant or careless. Rather, he teaches that we can speak with confidence because God has promised His continual presence.
Notice the connection between verses 5 and 6.
God declares, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
Therefore, the believer can declare, "The Lord is my helper."
Our confidence is a response to God's promise.
Faith receives what God has spoken and learns to stand upon His Word, even when circumstances appear unfavorable.
2. "The Lord is my helper"
The word translated helper comes from the Greek word boēthos, referring to one who provides assistance or comes to another's aid.
The writer is drawing upon Psalm 118:6, where the psalmist declares his confidence in the LORD.
Psalm 118:6 (KJV)
"The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?"
Throughout Scripture, God reveals Himself as the defender, sustainer, and deliverer of His people.
When Israel stood before the Red Sea, the people were unable to deliver themselves from Pharaoh's approaching army. Yet God demonstrated His power by opening a way through the sea.
When David faced Goliath, he placed his confidence in the LORD rather than in human strength.
Likewise, believers today are called to depend upon God's help rather than relying exclusively upon their own abilities.
God's assistance does not mean that we will never encounter difficulties. It means that we can trust Him to sustain us through them.
3. "And I will not fear"
Fear is a natural human response to danger, uncertainty, and opposition.
However, Hebrews 13:6 teaches us not to allow fear to govern our decisions or destroy our confidence in God.
The believer's courage rests upon the knowledge that God remains present and faithful.
Consider Psalm 56:3:
"What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."
The psalmist does not deny experiencing fear. Instead, he chooses to trust God when fear arises.
There is an important difference between experiencing fear and surrendering ourselves to it.
Faith does not require us to pretend that difficulties do not exist. Faith calls us to trust God in the midst of those difficulties.
4. "What man shall do unto me"
The writer concludes with a rhetorical question drawn from Psalm 118.
Human beings may threaten, oppose, reject, or mistreat us, but they cannot overthrow God's eternal promises.
Jesus taught a similar principle in Matthew 10:28, encouraging His disciples not to fear those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
This does not mean that believers are immune to persecution, suffering, or physical harm.
The original recipients of Hebrews had already experienced persecution and material loss.
Rather, the passage teaches that human opposition cannot ultimately separate God's people from His faithfulness.
Our security rests in the Lord, whose authority is greater than every earthly power.
Observations
God's promises provide the foundation for our confidence. Hebrews 13:6 is directly connected to His promise never to leave or forsake us.
Contentment and trust belong together. When we recognize that God is our helper, we are less inclined to place our security in material possessions.
Faith produces courage. We can approach difficult circumstances with confidence because God remains faithful.
God's presence does not guarantee freedom from suffering. His promise assures us that He will not abandon us in our difficulties.
Human opposition is limited. No person possesses greater authority than God.
We must learn to trust God's Word. Our confidence should rest upon what He has spoken rather than upon changing circumstances.
God's help is personal. The declaration is not merely that God helps others, but that "The Lord is my helper."
Personal Application
Hebrews 13:6 challenges me to examine where I have placed my confidence.
Am I depending entirely upon my finances, my abilities, my relationships, or the approval of others?
When difficulties arise, do I immediately surrender to fear, or do I remember God's promises?
There will be times when I do not know how a situation will turn out. I may face circumstances that I cannot resolve through my own wisdom or strength.
During those moments, I must remember that the Lord is my helper.
I can pray for wisdom, seek godly counsel, make responsible decisions, and trust God with the outcome.
When I experience opposition, I must not allow the fear of people to prevent me from obeying God's Word.
When I face financial uncertainty, I must remember that my ultimate security is not found in material possessions.
When I feel alone, I can hold firmly to God's promise that He will never leave nor forsake His people.
This Scripture also reminds me to cultivate contentment.
Instead of continually worrying about what I lack, I should thank God for what He has provided and trust Him for the strength to meet each day's responsibilities.
Today, I will choose to trust God's faithfulness rather than allow fear to determine my actions.
Reflection Questions
What promise in Hebrews 13:5 provides the foundation for Hebrews 13:6?
What does it mean to boldly declare that the Lord is our helper?
How does Psalm 118:6 help us understand Hebrews 13:6?
Why is contentment important in developing confidence in God?
Does trusting God mean that believers will never experience suffering or opposition? Explain your answer.
What is the difference between experiencing fear and allowing fear to control our decisions?
Are there circumstances in my life where I have depended more upon human approval than upon God's Word?
How can I demonstrate confidence in God's promises during financial difficulties or uncertain circumstances?
What practical steps can I take to strengthen my trust in God when I feel afraid?
How can the declaration "The Lord is my helper" influence my prayers, decisions, relationships, and daily responsibilities?
Closing Prayer
Heavenly Father,
I thank You for Your faithfulness and for the assurance that You will never leave me nor forsake me.
Your Word declares that You are my helper. Therefore, I can approach every circumstance with confidence in Your presence and power.
Father, forgive me for the times I have allowed fear, worry, and uncertainty to overshadow my trust in You.
Teach me to depend upon Your promises rather than upon my own strength or understanding.
When I face opposition, give me courage to stand upon Your Word.
When I experience financial difficulties, teach me to remain content and trust You for wisdom and provision.
When I feel overwhelmed by circumstances beyond my control, remind me that You are present and faithful.
Guard my heart against covetousness, strengthen my faith, and help me to walk in obedience.
May I never allow the fear of people to prevent me from doing what is righteous in Your sight.
Let my confidence remain firmly established in Jesus Christ, my great High Priest, through whom I can approach Your throne of grace and obtain mercy and help in time of need.
Thank You for being my refuge, my strength, and my ever-present help.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment