Psalm 136: 1 - God’s Love Endures Forever | His Mercy Never Ends

 Psalm 136:1 KJV

“O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.”

Psalm 136 begins with an invitation to give thanks unto the LORD. Before the psalmist recounts God's mighty works, creation, deliverance, protection, and provision, he establishes the reason God's people should continually praise Him:

“for he is good.”

God does good because He is good. His goodness is not merely something He demonstrates occasionally; goodness belongs to His character.

Then comes the declaration repeated throughout Psalm 136:

“for his mercy endureth for ever.”

O Give Thanks Unto the LORD

Thanksgiving is more than thanking God when we receive something we wanted.

Biblical thanksgiving recognizes who God is.

The psalmist does not say, “Give thanks only when circumstances are favorable.” Instead, the foundation of thanksgiving is the unchanging character of God.

Circumstances change.

People change.

Seasons change.

Possessions can be gained and lost.

But the LORD remains God.

Therefore, our thanksgiving can rest upon something greater than our present circumstances.

“For He Is Good”

The Hebrew word translated “good” is tov (טוֹב). It carries the idea of that which is good, beneficial, pleasant, or right.

This same fundamental word appears at the beginning of Scripture when God looks upon His creation and declares it good.

God is the standard and source of goodness.

When we say, “God is good,” we are declaring something about His nature.

His wisdom is good.

His righteousness is good.

His truth is good.

His judgments are righteous.

His purposes are good.

His Word is good.

Even when we do not understand what God is doing, our inability to see the complete picture does not change His character.

“His Mercy”

The word translated “mercy” in Psalm 136 is the Hebrew chesed (ḥesed).

This is a rich covenant word that can carry ideas of steadfast love, mercy, lovingkindness, faithfulness, and loyal covenant devotion, depending upon context.

Therefore, “his mercy endureth for ever” communicates something deeper than a passing emotional feeling.

God's mercy is steadfast.

His covenant faithfulness does not fluctuate like human emotions.

This helps explain why the declaration appears twenty-six times throughout Psalm 136.

Again and again the congregation is reminded:

“for his mercy endureth for ever.”

Why Is It Repeated?

The repetition is intentional.

Psalm 136 recounts God's mighty acts and repeatedly responds to them with the same confession of faith.

God created the heavens—

His mercy endureth for ever.

God brought Israel out of Egypt—

His mercy endureth for ever.

God led His people—

His mercy endureth for ever.

God remembered them in their low estate—

His mercy endureth for ever.

God provided food—

His mercy endureth for ever.

The message becomes unmistakable:

Behind God's works stands God's enduring mercy.

Mercy That Endures

The word “endureth” is supplied in the KJV wording to express the sense of the Hebrew phrase. Literally, the construction emphasizes that God's mercy is “for ever”—Hebrew le'olam, carrying the sense of continuing perpetually or through the ages.

Human affection can change.

Human promises can be broken.

Human faithfulness can fail.

God's covenant faithfulness is not measured by human inconsistency.

This is why God's people can praise Him even during difficult seasons. Our confidence is not that every day will be easy. Our confidence is that God's character has not changed because the day became difficult.

Psalm 136 Is a History of Mercy

Psalm 136 teaches us how to interpret God's dealings with His people.

The psalm looks backward over Israel's history and recognizes God's mercy throughout it.

Creation revealed His mercy.

Deliverance revealed His mercy.

Guidance revealed His mercy.

Victory revealed His mercy.

Provision revealed His mercy.

Even when generations changed, God remained faithful.

This teaches us to look back over our own lives and recognize the places where God's hand has sustained us.

There were prayers He answered.

There were dangers from which He delivered us.

There were doors He opened.

There were doors He did not allow us to enter.

There were seasons when we did not know how we would continue, yet God sustained us.

When we remember His faithfulness yesterday, our hearts gain strength to trust Him today.

Personal Application

Psalm 136:1 challenges me to develop a life of thanksgiving that is rooted in God's character rather than controlled by my circumstances.

I can ask myself:

Have I been concentrating more upon what I lack than upon God's goodness?

Have I forgotten previous ways God has provided for me?

Do I praise God only when I receive the answer I desire?

Can I still declare that God is good while I am waiting?

Today I can deliberately remember His faithfulness.

I can thank Him for salvation.

I can thank Him for His Word.

I can thank Him for provision.

I can thank Him for prayers answered.

I can thank Him for strength during difficult seasons.

And even when I cannot yet see the outcome of what I am facing, I can still confess:

“O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.”

Key Truth

My circumstances may change, but God's character does not. His goodness gives me a reason to give thanks, and His enduring mercy gives me a reason to keep trusting Him.



Comments

Visitors