John 3:5 -Born of Water and of the Spirit | Speak His Word Only

“Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water
and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.”

Introduction

John 3 records the nighttime conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus, a Pharisee and “a ruler of the Jews” (John 3:1). Nicodemus recognized that Jesus had come from God because of the miracles He performed, but Jesus immediately directed the conversation beyond miracles to something far more fundamental: a person must be born again to see and enter the Kingdom of God.

Nicodemus initially understood Jesus in natural terms. He asked how a grown man could enter his mother’s womb a second time and be born. Jesus was not speaking of another natural birth. He was teaching about spiritual regeneration—a work of God that gives a person new life.

“Except a Man Be Born”

Jesus begins with necessity. He does not present the new birth as an optional experience for unusually spiritual believers.

“Except a man be born…”

Entrance into God's Kingdom requires a birth that human effort cannot produce. Religious knowledge, ancestry, outward morality, religious office, and familiarity with Scripture cannot substitute for regeneration.

Nicodemus possessed many of these things, yet Jesus told him:

John 3:7 (KJV)
“Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”

The new birth is not merely becoming a better version of the old person. God gives new spiritual life.

“Born of Water and of the Spirit”

Jesus' words would have had important Old Testament background for a teacher such as Nicodemus. One particularly significant passage is Ezekiel 36.

Ezekiel 36:25–27 (KJV)
“Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.”

Notice the connection:

Water — cleansing.
A new heart — inward transformation.
A new spirit — new spiritual life.
God's Spirit within — divine empowerment for obedience.

Jesus therefore speaks of something God had already promised: His people would not merely receive external commandments; God would perform an inward work of cleansing and renewal.

The Work of the Holy Spirit

Jesus continues:

John 3:6 (KJV)
“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

Human flesh can produce natural life, but only the Spirit of God can produce spiritual life.

This is why salvation cannot ultimately be reduced to religious activity. A person may attend church, read Scripture, perform good works, or possess extensive biblical knowledge and still need the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit.

Paul expresses the same truth:

Titus 3:5 (KJV)
“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.”

Regeneration is God's work.

Water and Baptism

John 3:5 has also played an important role in Christian teaching concerning baptism. Water baptism is clearly commanded by Christ and practiced throughout Acts.

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”

Yet John 3:5 should be read within Jesus' larger emphasis upon the Spirit's work. Jesus is teaching Nicodemus that entrance into God's Kingdom requires divine cleansing and spiritual regeneration, not merely natural birth or religious standing.

The outward application of water must never be separated from the inward reality to which Scripture points: a heart made new by God.

“He Cannot Enter Into the Kingdom of God”

This is the solemn conclusion of Jesus' statement.

The Kingdom cannot be entered simply because someone was born into a religious family, belongs to a particular denomination, possesses a title, or knows biblical information.

There must be new birth.

Jesus moves Nicodemus from religion to regeneration, from natural descent to spiritual birth, and from human achievement to the sovereign work of God's Spirit.

Observation

John 3:5 teaches us several important truths:

  1. The new birth is necessary, not optional.

  2. Natural birth and spiritual birth are different.

  3. Human effort cannot produce regeneration.

  4. God cleanses the sinner and gives new spiritual life.

  5. The Holy Spirit is essential to the new birth.

  6. Religious knowledge alone cannot bring someone into God's Kingdom.

  7. God's promise of cleansing and renewal was already revealed in the Old Testament.

  8. New birth produces an inward transformation that should become visible in a changed life.

Personal Application

I should not merely ask, “Am I religious?”

I must examine the deeper question:

Has God transformed my heart?

The evidence of new birth is not simply what I profess with my mouth but the work God is producing within me. My desires, obedience, relationship with sin, love for God, and response to His Word should increasingly demonstrate the life of the Spirit.

The Christian life does not begin with self-improvement. It begins with new life from God.

Reflection Questions

  1. Why was Nicodemus confused when Jesus spoke about being born again?

  2. What is the difference between natural birth and spiritual birth?

  3. What does Ezekiel 36:25–27 contribute to our understanding of John 3:5?

  4. Why can religious knowledge never replace regeneration?

  5. What role does the Holy Spirit have in the new birth?

  6. How does Titus 3:5 relate to Jesus' teaching?

  7. What evidence of God's transforming work should appear in the life of someone who has been born again?

  8. Am I depending upon religious activity, or am I walking in the new life God gives through His Spirit?

Closing Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for revealing through Your Word that I cannot give myself spiritual life. Thank You for Your mercy, Your cleansing, and the renewing work of the Holy Spirit.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Let my life demonstrate that I have not merely learned about You outwardly, but that Your Spirit is working within me.

Help me to walk in obedience, turn away from sin, treasure Your Word, and live as one who has received new life through Jesus Christ.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments

Visitors