1 John 2:16 — The Lust of the Flesh, the Lust of the Eyes, and the Pride of Life | Speak the Word Only
1 John 2:16 (KJV)
“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride
of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”Introduction
First John 2:16 gives believers a serious warning about the desires, attractions, and attitudes that characterize a world living independently of God.
John identifies three areas:
The lust of the flesh.
The lust of the eyes.
The pride of life.These three describe powerful ways through which temptation can work upon the human heart. The flesh desires gratification. The eyes desire what they see. Pride desires recognition, status, independence, and self-exaltation.
John's warning must be read together with the preceding verse:
1 John 2:15 (KJV)
“Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”John is not teaching that God's physical creation is evil. Scripture declares that God created the heavens and the earth. Rather, in this context, “the world” refers to the system of desires, values, and priorities organized in opposition to God.
The believer lives in the world but must not allow the spirit and values of the world to rule the heart.
Historical and Biblical Background
First John was written to strengthen believers in the truth concerning Jesus Christ, fellowship with God, obedience, love, righteousness, and assurance of eternal life.
John begins his letter by emphasizing that his testimony concerning Christ was based upon what the apostles had heard, seen, looked upon, and handled concerning “the Word of life” (1 John 1:1).
Throughout the letter, John presents clear contrasts:
Light and darkness.
Truth and error.
Love and hatred.
Righteousness and sin.
The Father and the world.
The children of God and the children of the devil.
In 1 John 2:15–17, John warns believers about loving the world because the world's desires are temporary and opposed to the Father's will.
Immediately after verse 16, John writes:
1 John 2:17 (KJV)
“And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”The world offers temporary gratification.
God calls His people to eternal priorities.
“For All That Is in the World”
John begins:
“For all that is in the world…”
John is describing the sinful pattern operating within fallen humanity.
The world continually appeals to our desires.
It tells us:
Satisfy yourself.
Take what you want.
Become what others admire.
Measure yourself by what you possess.
Live according to your desires rather than God's will.
But Scripture teaches believers to examine their desires rather than automatically obey them.
Not everything we desire is good simply because we desire it.
Our desires must be brought under the authority of God's Word.
The Lust of the Flesh
“…the lust of the flesh…”
The Greek word translated “lust” is epithymia, meaning a strong desire or craving. Depending upon context, desire itself is not always sinful, but here John is clearly speaking of desires contrary to God's will.
The lust of the flesh involves allowing bodily appetites and sinful desires to govern our choices.
The flesh says:
“I want it.”
Wisdom asks:
“Does God approve of it?”
The flesh demands immediate satisfaction.
The Spirit teaches self-control and obedience.
Paul writes:
Galatians 5:16 (KJV)
“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.”The answer is not merely human willpower. The believer is called to walk according to the Spirit rather than allowing sinful desires to dominate.
The Lust of the Eyes
“…and the lust of the eyes…”
The eyes can become an entrance through which covetous desires reach the heart.
We see.
We desire.
We imagine possessing.
We become dissatisfied with what we already have.
This pattern appears very early in Scripture.
Eve
Genesis 3:6 (KJV)
“And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes…”The temptation involved what she saw and how what she saw affected desire.
Achan
Achan later confessed:
Joshua 7:21 (KJV)
“When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them…”Notice the progression:
I saw.
I coveted.
I took.
The eyes saw something.
The heart desired it.
The hands acted upon that desire.
This teaches us why spiritual discipline involves not only controlling our actions but guarding what we continually place before our eyes.
The Pride of Life
“…and the pride of life…”
The pride of life concerns boasting in what one possesses, accomplishes, controls, or appears to be.
It can manifest itself through:
wealth,
status,
appearance,
titles,
accomplishments,
possessions,
influence,
social position,
knowledge,
or the desire to be admired.
Pride says:
“Look what I have.”
“Look what I accomplished.”
“Look who I am.”
It shifts attention away from God as the source of life, strength, ability, provision, and blessing.
Scripture warns:
Proverbs 16:18 (KJV)
“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”The problem is not having accomplishments or possessions. The danger comes when these things become the basis of our identity, confidence, superiority, or independence from God.
“Is Not of the Father”
John makes the source clear:
“…is not of the Father, but is of the world.”
This gives us an important test of spiritual discernment.
We should not merely ask:
“Do I want this?”
We should ask:
“Where is this desire coming from?”
Does it agree with God's character?
Does it agree with God's Word?
Does it encourage holiness?
Does it produce obedience?
Does it strengthen my relationship with God?
Or is it feeding fleshly desire, covetousness, vanity, pride, or self-exaltation?
Spiritual maturity requires learning to discern not merely whether something is attractive, but whether it is of the Father.
A Pattern Seen in Genesis 3
There is an instructive parallel between John's three descriptions and the temptation in Eden.
Genesis 3:6 (KJV)
“And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise…”We can observe similar categories:
“Good for food” — an appeal involving bodily desire.
“Pleasant to the eyes” — visual attraction.
“Desired to make one wise” — an appeal involving elevation and the desire for what was forbidden.
We should be careful not to claim that John explicitly says he is interpreting Genesis 3. Nevertheless, the resemblance provides a useful biblical comparison when studying temptation.
Jesus and Temptation
Matthew 4 records the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness.
The devil tempted Him concerning bread, challenged Him concerning His identity, and showed Him the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
Yet Jesus repeatedly answered:
“It is written.”
Where temptation sought to move Him away from obedience, Jesus remained submitted to the Word of God.
This gives believers an important pattern.
Temptation must be answered with truth.
Our feelings are not the final authority.
Our desires are not the final authority.
Culture is not the final authority.
God's Word is the authority.
Observations from 1 John 2:16
Not every desire should be followed.
Desire must be examined according to God's Word.The flesh seeks gratification.
Without spiritual discipline, bodily desires can begin governing our decisions.The eyes can awaken covetousness.
What we continually look upon can influence what we begin to desire.Pride seeks self-exaltation.
The pride of life encourages us to define ourselves by possessions, accomplishments, status, or human admiration.Temptation frequently works through desire.
James teaches that a person can be drawn away by his own lust and enticed (James 1:14).Believers must discern the source of their desires.
John plainly states that these things are “not of the Father.”The world's attractions are temporary.
The next verse declares, “the world passeth away, and the lust thereof.”Doing God's will has eternal significance.
The person who does the will of God “abideth for ever.”Personal Application
First John 2:16 causes me to examine not only my actions but also my desires.
I must ask myself:
What is feeding my flesh?
What are my eyes continually looking upon?
What am I coveting because I have seen someone else possess it?
Am I comparing my life with other people?
Do I need recognition in order to feel important?
Am I seeking God's approval or people's admiration?
Is pride preventing me from receiving correction?
The battle often begins before the outward action.
It begins in the heart.
Something attracts my attention.
I begin thinking about it.
Desire grows.
I justify it.
Then I act.
Therefore, spiritual discernment requires dealing with temptation before it matures into sinful behavior.
I need to guard my heart.
I need to guard my eyes.
I need to examine my desires.
I need to humble myself before God.
And I need the Word of God to remain stronger in my heart than the voices of the world around me.
The question is not simply:
“Can I have this?”
A better question may be:
“Will this help me do the will of my Father?”
Reflection Questions
What does John mean by “the world” in 1 John 2:16?
How is the lust of the flesh different from legitimate physical needs?
What are some ways the lust of the eyes can influence our decisions?
What happened after Achan saw, coveted, and took what God had forbidden?
How can pride hide itself behind accomplishments, possessions, titles, or recognition?
Do I find myself comparing what I have with what other people possess?
Is there something I continually look at that produces unhealthy or sinful desires?
How can God's Word help me recognize temptation before I act upon it?
Which area requires greater vigilance in my life—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, or pride?
What practical change can I make today to guard my heart from worldly desires?
Closing Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for the truth of Thy Word.
Search my heart and reveal anything within me that is being governed by the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, or the pride of life.
Teach me to recognize desires that are not pleasing unto Thee. Help me not to follow every feeling, craving, or attraction, but to bring my thoughts and desires under the authority of Thy Word.
Guard my eyes from things that stir covetousness, envy, impurity, and dissatisfaction. Teach me to be thankful for what Thou hast provided.
Deliver me from pride. Keep me from finding my identity in possessions, accomplishments, titles, appearance, or the praise of people. Let my confidence and identity be rooted in Thee.
Help me to walk in the Spirit so that I will not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Give me discernment when temptation comes and bring Thy Word to my remembrance.
The world passeth away and the lust thereof, but Thy Word endureth. Help me therefore to desire what is eternal and to faithfully do Thy will.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment