Saturday, September 28, 2024

Luke 9:26 — Unashamed of Christ and His Words | Bible Prayer Journal

“For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.” — Luke 9:26 (KJV)

Unashamed of Christ • Faithfulness • Discipleship • Word of God • Son of Man • Christ's Return • Glory

Introduction

Luke 9:26 is part of Jesus' teaching about the cost of discipleship. Immediately before this verse, Jesus tells His followers to deny themselves, take up their cross daily, and follow Him. He then asks what profit there is in gaining the whole world while losing oneself.

Against that background, Jesus warns against being ashamed of Him and His words.

Following Christ may place a disciple in conflict with popular opinion, cultural expectations, personal ambitions, or the desire for human approval. Jesus calls His disciples to remain faithful to Him even when doing so carries a cost.


Expository Insight

“Whosoever Shall Be Ashamed”

The Greek verb epaischynomai means to:

Be ashamed • Feel disgrace • Shrink back because of embarrassment

Jesus is addressing more than temporary nervousness. He warns against distancing ourselves from Him because we value human acceptance more highly than faithfulness to Christ.

The question becomes:

Whose approval matters most to me?


“Ashamed of Me”

Christian discipleship begins with a Person:

Jesus Christ.

We are not merely committed to religious principles. We belong to Christ.

Being His disciple means identifying with Him even when His teachings are rejected, misunderstood, or unpopular.


“And of My Words”

Jesus joins Himself and His teaching together:

“Me and my words.”

We cannot faithfully confess Christ while continually rejecting what He teaches.

His words confront:

  • Pride

  • Selfishness

  • Hypocrisy

  • Unforgiveness

  • Sin

  • Love of worldly approval

Following Jesus therefore requires more than speaking His name. It requires submitting ourselves to His Word.


“The Son of Man”

Jesus frequently calls Himself the Son of Man.

The title has important roots in Daniel 7:13–14, where one “like the Son of man” receives dominion, glory, and an everlasting kingdom.

Therefore, the One who presently calls His disciples to carry a cross is also the coming King.

The suffering Christ is the glorious Son of Man.


“When He Shall Come”

Jesus directs His disciples beyond present circumstances toward His future appearing.

Human opinions are temporary.

Christ's judgment is ultimate.

The believer therefore must not measure faithfulness merely by whether Christianity is socially accepted.

Our lives are lived before the returning Christ.


“In His Own Glory”

Jesus speaks of His own glory.

The One who would soon be rejected, mocked, crucified, and buried would not remain humiliated.

He will come in glory.

The cross was not the end of His story.

Glory follows suffering.


“And in His Father's”

Jesus also speaks of the Father's glory.

His return will openly reveal the divine authority and majesty associated with His Kingdom.

The disciple who appears foolish for following Christ now will discover that faithfulness to Him was never wasted.


“And of the Holy Angels”

Jesus describes His coming accompanied by holy angels.

This presents His return as a royal and heavenly event.

The Son of Man who once walked among humanity in humility will be revealed in glory and heavenly majesty.


The Context: Take Up Your Cross

Luke 9:23 says:

“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”

The progression is important:

Deny yourself.
Take up your cross.
Follow Christ.
Do not be ashamed of Him.
Look toward His coming glory.

Christian discipleship is not built around preserving personal comfort.

It is built around faithfulness to Jesus Christ.


Heart Examination

Have I ever remained silent about Christ because I feared people's reactions?



Do I accept Jesus while avoiding teachings of His that challenge me?



Whose approval matters most to me?



Where do I need greater courage to stand upon God's Word?



Am I living with Christ's return in view?



Lord, Give Me Courage

Help me speak truth concerning:


Help me remain faithful when:


Remove my fear of:


Give me courage to obey:


Help me represent Christ through:



My Prayer

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Jesus Christ and for the words He has given us.

Give me courage never to be ashamed of Christ or His Word.

Forgive me for the times I have valued human approval more than faithfulness to You. Forgive me when fear has made me silent or when I have been tempted to compromise truth to avoid rejection.

Strengthen me to follow Jesus faithfully.

Teach me to deny myself, carry my cross daily, and remain obedient even when discipleship is uncomfortable.

Give me wisdom to speak truth with love, humility, and grace. Keep me from becoming argumentative or prideful while standing firmly upon Your Word.

Remind me that today's opinions are temporary, but Christ's Kingdom is everlasting.

Help me live with my eyes upon the Son of Man who will come in glory.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Personal Application

Today I will examine whether fear of people's opinions has influenced my obedience to Christ. I will choose one practical way to demonstrate that I am unashamed of Jesus and His Word, while speaking and acting with grace.

Where I Need Greater Courage



How I Will Stand Faithfully Today



Key Truth

Jesus calls His disciples to remain faithful to both Him and His words. Present rejection is temporary, but the Son of Man will come in glory.

Prayer Journal

Where have I feared people's opinions?



What words of Jesus do I need to obey?



What truth must I stand upon today?



How can I represent Christ with courage and grace?



My Prayer Today




Faith Declaration

I am not ashamed of Jesus Christ or His Word. By God's grace, I will follow Him faithfully, speak His truth with love, and live with the coming glory of the Son of Man in view.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Two Trees in Genesis: Life, Trust, and the Choice to Obey God

The tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil stand at the center of the garden’s account. Together, they help us underst...

Visitors