Matthew 5:6 — Hunger and Thirst After Righteousness | Bible Prayer Journal

“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” — Matthew 5:6 (KJV)

Righteousness • Spiritual Hunger • Seeking God • Kingdom Living • Transformation • Satisfaction in God

Introduction

Matthew 5:6 is part of the Beatitudes, Jesus' opening description of the character of those who belong to His Kingdom.

Jesus uses two of the strongest natural desires—hunger and thirst—to describe the believer's longing for righteousness.

Physical hunger drives us toward food. Thirst drives us toward water. In the same way, Jesus describes a heart that deeply desires God's righteousness rather than treating it as an occasional spiritual interest.

This is more than wanting God to improve our circumstances. It is the prayer:

“Lord, make me right before You, teach me what is right, and cause me to desire what is right.”

And Jesus attaches a promise to this hunger:

“They shall be filled.”


Expository Insight

“Blessed”

The Greek word makarios describes one who is blessed or spiritually favored.

Jesus is describing a condition of life under God's favor that does not depend entirely upon comfortable circumstances.

The person Jesus calls blessed is someone whose deepest appetite has been turned toward God.


“They Which Do Hunger”

The Greek verb peinaō means:

To hunger • Be hungry • Strongly desire

Jesus is not describing mild curiosity about righteousness.

Hunger creates pursuit.

A hungry person searches for food.

Likewise, spiritual hunger causes us to pursue:

God's Word
Prayer
Obedience
Truth
Holiness
Fellowship with God

The question is not simply whether I believe righteousness is important.

The deeper question is:

Do I hunger for it?


“And Thirst”

The Greek dipsaō means:

To thirst • Desire earnestly • Long for

Thirst intensifies the picture.

Jesus describes a spiritual appetite that says:

“Lord, I need You.”

The psalmist expressed a similar longing:

“My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God.” — Psalm 42:2 (KJV)

Spiritual thirst recognizes that worldly things cannot satisfy what only God can fill.


“After Righteousness”

The Greek word dikaiosynē carries the ideas of:

Righteousness • Justice • Uprightness • What conforms to God's standard

In Matthew's Gospel, righteousness includes living according to the will and character of God.

Jesus is describing people who desire more than the appearance of righteousness.

They hunger for God's righteousness to become reality within their lives.

This includes a desire for:

A right relationship with God
A transformed heart
Right conduct
Justice
Holiness
Obedience to God's will


Righteousness Is More Than Religious Appearance

Later in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus warns against righteousness practiced merely “to be seen of men” (Matthew 6:1).

Therefore, Matthew 5:6 is not about appearing spiritual before other people.

The hunger begins inside the heart.

I can look religious outwardly while having very little appetite for God inwardly.

Jesus calls me deeper.


“For They Shall Be Filled”

The Greek verb chortazō means:

To satisfy • Feed • Fill

This is Christ's promise.

Those who genuinely hunger and thirst after righteousness will not seek God in vain.

God satisfies the appetite He calls us to possess.

This does not mean believers reach a condition where they no longer desire more of God.

Rather, God continually meets the person who sincerely seeks His righteousness while producing an even deeper desire to walk with Him.


What Am I Hungry For?

Every heart develops appetites.

I can hunger for:

Recognition.

Possessions.

Entertainment.

Success.

Approval.

Comfort.

Influence.

Or I can increasingly hunger for:

God's presence.
God's truth.
God's righteousness.
God's will.
God's Kingdom.

Jesus challenges me to examine what I desire most.


Heart Examination

What occupies most of my desires?



Do I hunger for God's Word or only turn to it when I need something?



What worldly appetite competes with my hunger for God?



Is there an area where I know what is right but have resisted doing it?



What would greater righteousness look like in my life?



Lord, Increase My Hunger

I want to hunger more deeply for:


I need greater righteousness in:


Remove this unhealthy appetite:


Increase my desire for Your Word concerning:


Help me pursue Your Kingdom through:



My Prayer

Heavenly Father,

Create within me a genuine hunger and thirst for righteousness.

Do not allow me to become satisfied with merely appearing religious while my heart remains spiritually hungry for the things of this world.

Change my appetite.

Where I hunger for recognition, teach me to hunger for Your approval.

Where I thirst for worldly satisfaction, teach me to thirst for Your presence.

Where sin has weakened my spiritual appetite, cleanse me and restore my desire for what is holy.

Give me a deeper love for Your Word.

Give me a stronger desire for prayer.

Give me a willing heart to obey.

Teach me to desire righteousness not simply because I fear consequences, but because I love You and desire to please You.

Thank You for the promise of Jesus:

“They shall be filled.”

I trust You to satisfy the spiritual hunger that draws me closer to You.

May my greatest desire become Your righteousness, Your will, and Your Kingdom.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Personal Application

Today I will examine what I have been spiritually feeding upon.

I will deliberately make room for God's Word, prayer, and obedience rather than allowing lesser desires to consume my attention.

One Appetite I Need to Reduce



One Spiritual Practice I Will Increase



Key Truth

Jesus does not merely bless those who know about righteousness. He blesses those who deeply hunger and thirst for it—and He promises that their hunger will be satisfied.

Prayer Journal

What am I spiritually hungry for today?



Where do I need God's righteousness?



What has been weakening my spiritual appetite?



How can I intentionally seek God today?



What is the Holy Spirit showing me through this Scripture?



My Prayer Today




Faith Declaration

I hunger and thirst after righteousness. I will seek God's truth, desire His will, pursue His Kingdom, and trust His promise that those who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled.




Comments

Visitors