Luke 1:46 — My Soul Doth Magnify the Lord | Bible Prayer Journal

And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord.” — Luke 1:46 (KJV)

Introduction

Luke 1:46 begins Mary's song of praise, traditionally called the Magnificat, from the Latin word meaning “magnifies.” After receiving Gabriel's announcement and visiting Elisabeth, Mary responds by directing attention away from herself and toward God.

Her circumstances were extraordinary, yet her first recorded words in this song were not centered upon her own importance:

“My soul doth magnify the Lord.”

Mary teaches us that genuine worship makes God great in our estimation, conversation, and attention. We do not make God greater than He already is; rather, we recognize, proclaim, and celebrate His greatness.


Expository Insight

“And Mary Said”

Mary had received an extraordinary promise from God. She had been told that she would bear Jesus, the Son of the Highest.

Yet Mary's response was worship.

God's blessings should not merely make us excited about what we have received. They should cause us to worship the One who gave them.


“My Soul”

The Greek word psychē can refer to the soul, life, or inner person.

Mary's worship came from within.

She was not merely repeating religious words. Her praise arose from the depths of her being.

This challenges us to ask:

Is worship merely coming from my lips, or is my heart participating in what I am saying?


“Doth Magnify”

The Greek word megalynō means:

To magnify • Make great • Declare great • Exalt • Praise

Mary was declaring the greatness of God.

We cannot increase God's actual greatness. God is already infinitely great.

But we can magnify Him in our own lives by recognizing His greatness and making His character, works, and faithfulness central to our praise.

When problems dominate our attention, they can appear enormous.

Worship redirects our attention:

From the problem to God's greatness.
From fear to God's faithfulness.
From ourselves to the Lord.


“The Lord”

Mary knew exactly whom she was magnifying.

The Lord.

Her praise was God-centered.

She would continue in verse 47:

“And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.”

Her worship was grounded in who God is and what He had done.


Worship Before Fulfillment

There is another beautiful lesson in Mary's praise.

When Mary spoke these words, the promise had not yet reached its complete fulfillment.

Jesus had not yet been born.

Yet Mary praised God.

Faith can worship God while the promise is still developing.

We do not have to wait until everything is completed before giving God thanks.


Heart Examination

What occupies more of my attention—God's greatness or my problems?



Do I praise God only after prayers are answered?



What has God done that I need to remember today?



Does my worship arise from my heart or only from my lips?



Today I Magnify the Lord For

His faithfulness:


His mercy:


His provision:


His protection:


His promises:


My Prayer

Heavenly Father,

My soul magnifies You today.

You are greater than every circumstance, every difficulty, every uncertainty, and every fear that confronts me.

Forgive me for the times I have magnified my problems while minimizing Your faithfulness.

Turn my attention back toward You.

Let worship arise from the depths of my heart. Teach me to praise You not only after I see the answer but while I am still waiting upon Your promises.

I thank You for Your mercy, faithfulness, provision, protection, and unfailing Word.

May my life point attention away from myself and toward Your greatness.

Like Mary, let my heart declare:

“My soul doth magnify the Lord.”

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Personal Application

Today I will intentionally magnify God rather than magnify my circumstances. When worry arises, I will replace it with thanksgiving by remembering something specific about God's character or faithfulness.

The Concern I Am Giving to God



The Truth About God I Will Magnify Instead



Key Truth

Worship does not make God greater—He is already great. Worship changes our focus so that God's greatness becomes larger in our attention than the circumstances surrounding us.

Prayer Journal

Lord, today my soul magnifies You because:



I thank You for:



I am trusting You with:



While I wait, I will praise You for:



My Prayer Today




Faith Declaration

My soul magnifies the Lord. I will not allow my circumstances to become greater in my sight than my God. I will remember His faithfulness, trust His promises, and praise Him while I wait.




Comments

Visitors