John 16:28 — I Came Forth From the Father

“I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.” — John 16:28, KJV

John 16:28 summarizes the mission of Jesus Christ in one powerful statement. Jesus speaks of where He came from, why He entered the world, and where He was returning.

“I came forth from the Father” points beyond Christ's earthly birth to His heavenly origin and preexistence. Jesus did not begin to exist at Bethlehem. John had already declared, “In the beginning was the Word” (John 1:1). The Son was with the Father before entering the world.

“And am come into the world” speaks of His incarnation and earthly mission. The eternal Son entered human history, taking upon Himself humanity to accomplish the Father's redemptive purpose.

“Again, I leave the world” anticipates His approaching death and the completion of His earthly ministry. The cross was not an unexpected defeat; it was central to the mission for which He came.

Finally, Jesus says, “and go to the Father.” His mission would lead through His death and resurrection to His return to the Father. John 17:5 speaks of the glory He had with the Father “before the world was.”

The verse therefore presents a beautiful movement:

From the Father → Into the world → Leaving the world → Returning to the Father.

Personal Application

John 16:28 reminds us that Jesus' life was governed by divine purpose. He knew where He came from, what He had been sent to accomplish, and where He was going.

Because Christ completed His mission and returned to the Father, believers can place their confidence in Him. His coming into the world demonstrates God's love; His death provides redemption; His resurrection declares victory; and His return to the Father assures us that His mission was accomplished.




Comments

Visitors