Tamar of Genesis 38: When Judah Withheld What He Promised | Women of the Bible

Scripture: Genesis 38; Matthew 1:3

This study concerns Tamar, Judah’s daughter-in-law. Scripture also names other women Tamar, so identifying her by Genesis 38 matters.

Her name

Tamar is a Hebrew name meaning “date palm” or “palm tree.” A palm can offer an image of endurance for personal reflection, but Genesis does not say that her name was given to describe her character. We learn about Tamar from the account itself. 

Her story

Tamar married Judah’s son Er, who died. According to the family arrangement described in Genesis 38, Judah then gave her to his son Onan, who also died. Judah told Tamar to remain a widow in her father’s house until his younger son Shelah grew up. Yet when Shelah was grown, Judah did not give him to her. Tamar was left waiting on a promise Judah withheld. 

Tamar then concealed her identity and met Judah on the road. She kept his signet, bracelets, and staff as a pledge. When Judah later heard that she was pregnant, he called for her punishment. Tamar sent him the objects and asked him to identify their owner. Judah recognized them and admitted, “She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son” (Genesis 38:26, KJV). 

Tamar gave birth to Pharez and Zarah. Matthew’s genealogy names her as Thamar and includes Pharez in the family line leading to Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:3, KJV). 

What can we as women learn?

God’s Word makes room to tell the truth about injustice. Tamar’s situation cannot be understood without Judah’s broken promise. She was a widow whose future was tied to a family obligation he failed to fulfill.

A powerful person’s accusation is not the whole story. Judah was ready to condemn Tamar before he faced his own conduct. When the evidence came to light, he acknowledged his fault. We should be careful to hear the facts before judging someone whose voice carries less authority.

Being vindicated does not make every action a model to copy. Genesis records Tamar’s disguise and Judah’s confession; it does not instruct us to repeat her method. The lesson for us is to take injustice seriously, seek truth, and pursue wise, safe ways to address wrong.

A painful chapter does not erase a woman from God’s unfolding story. Tamar’s name appears again in Matthew 1:3. That does not make the harm and uncertainty she experienced good. It shows that the biblical account neither hides her story nor leaves her unnamed.

Personal application

I can ask myself: Have I made a promise that someone else is depending on? Am I quick to judge a woman without hearing what happened to her? If I have been treated unfairly, what truthful and safe steps can I take, and whom can I ask for wise help?

Tamar’s account also calls me to examine my own heart when I hold power in a family, ministry, or community. I must be willing to admit wrong as Judah finally did.

Prayer: Lord, help me keep my word and treat others justly. Give me courage to seek truth when something is wrong, wisdom to act safely, and humility to acknowledge my own failures. See those who have been left waiting on promises others did not keep. Amen.



Comments

Visitors