Acts 12:5 - Christians Pray for One Another | Prayers of the Bible

Acts 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him. 

Acts 12:6 And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison.

Acts 12:7 And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.

Acts 12:8 And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me.

Acts 12:9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

Acts 12:10 When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him.

Acts 12:11 And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews.

Acts 12:12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.
 (KJV)

When God Opens the Prison Door

Key Scripture — Acts 12:7

“And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.” — Acts 12:7, KJV


Prayer Focus

Acts 12:5 tells us that while Peter was imprisoned, prayer was being made earnestly by the church unto God for him.

Then Acts 12:7–12 shows what happened next.

Peter was still surrounded by circumstances that appeared impossible:

He was imprisoned.

He was chained.

He was guarded.

Soldiers were nearby.

Doors stood between him and freedom.

But God was not restricted by anything restricting Peter.

An angel of the Lord entered the prison.

Light shone in the darkness.

Peter was awakened.

His chains fell.

He walked past the guards.

The iron gate opened.

And Peter walked out.

The church was praying while God was working.


“A Light Shined in the Prison”

Peter's surroundings were dark, but darkness did not prevent God's light from entering.

The prison could contain Peter physically.

It could not keep God out.

This gives us an important prayer principle:

God knows how to enter places we cannot enter.

There may be circumstances we cannot reach.

People we cannot change.

Doors we cannot open.

Problems we cannot solve.

But prayer brings those situations before the God whose authority is not limited by our limitations.


“Arise Up Quickly”

Peter was required to respond when God began moving.

The angel told him:

“Arise up quickly.”

Peter had been praying for and God was intervening, but Peter still had instructions to follow.

This teaches us that prayer and obedience belong together.

Sometimes we pray for God to open a door while remaining unwilling to move when He opens it.

When God gives direction, faith must respond.


“His Chains Fell Off”

Peter did not remove his own chains.

They fell from his hands.

The chains that had restrained him could not remain when God intervened.

There are situations where human strength is insufficient.

There are burdens we cannot remove by ourselves.

There are circumstances that require divine intervention.

Our responsibility is not to pretend the chains do not exist.

Our responsibility is to bring our circumstances before God and trust His wisdom, power, and timing.


“Follow Me”

The angel instructed Peter to follow.

Peter did not receive the complete explanation before he started moving.

He followed one instruction at a time.

This is often how faith works.

God may not show us the entire journey at once.

Sometimes He gives enough light for the next step.

Prayer therefore should include:

“Lord, show me what I need to do next.”

Not merely:

“Lord, show me everything that will happen.”


The Iron Gate Opened

Peter and the angel passed the first and second guard stations.

Then they reached the iron gate leading into the city.

The Scripture says the gate:

“opened to them of his own accord.”

Peter did not force it.

He did not break it down.

God had already made provision for the obstacle ahead.

Peter's responsibility was to continue walking.

Sometimes we exhaust ourselves trying to open doors that only God can open.

There is a time to knock.

There is a time to act.

There is a time to persevere.

But there is also a time to recognize:

Only God can open this door.


“Now I Know of a Surety”

After the angel departed, Peter understood what had happened.

Sometimes understanding comes after obedience.

Peter followed before he fully comprehended the experience.

Then he could say:

“Now I know of a surety...”

There will be seasons when we cannot understand everything God is doing while we are walking through it.

Later we may look back and recognize:

God was working when I could not see it.

God was guiding when I did not understand it.

God was opening doors before I reached them.


Peter Went to the House of Prayer

After his deliverance, Peter went to the house of Mary, the mother of John Mark.

There:

“many were gathered together praying.”

This completes a beautiful picture.

Peter was imprisoned.

The church was praying.

God intervened.

Peter was delivered.

And the church was still praying.

They had not abandoned their intercession.

They continued.

This teaches us the importance of persistent prayer.


Personal Application

1. What situation in my life presently feels like a locked prison?



2. What “chains” am I asking God to address?



3. Is there something beyond my ability that I need to stop trying to control and place before God?



4. Where might God be telling me, “Arise”—take the next obedient step?



5. What instruction from God's Word do I already know but need to obey?



6. What “iron gate” am I trying to force open myself?



7. Am I willing to trust God's timing if the door has not opened yet?



8. Who needs me to stand in prayer for them as the church prayed for Peter?




My Prayer List

Someone I am interceding for:


A situation that needs God's intervention:


A door only God can open:


A burden I am surrendering:


A decision where I need direction:


Something I am waiting on God for:



Lord, Open My Eyes

What am I afraid of?


What does God's Word say?


What can I do?


What can only God do?


What is my next step of obedience?



Remembering God's Faithfulness

Write down a situation where God previously brought you through something you could not solve by yourself.




What did God teach me through that experience?



How can remembering that experience strengthen my faith today?




My Prayer

Father, I bring before You the situations that are beyond my ability. You know every chain, every guarded place, every closed door, and every circumstance I cannot change.

Teach me to pray without giving up.

Where I need to wait, give me patience.

Where I need to move, give me courage.

Where I need to obey, make my heart willing.

Where I am trying to force a door, teach me to trust Your timing.

Shine Your light into the places that appear dark. Give me wisdom to recognize Your direction and faith to take the next step You place before me.

I also bring before You those who need prayer today. Strengthen them, guide them, comfort them, and accomplish Your will in their lives.

When You answer, help me remember that the glory belongs to You.

In Jesus' name, Amen.


My Personal Prayer

Father, today I especially bring before You:






I am trusting You for:



Help me to:



I surrender to You:




Praise After Prayer

Something I can thank God for today:


A prayer God has already answered:


A door God has previously opened:


A reason I can trust Him again:



Key Truth

Acts 12:7–12 reminds us that God is not restricted by the circumstances restricting us. Peter was chained, guarded, and surrounded by closed doors, while the church continued praying. God intervened according to His will, Peter responded in obedience, the chains fell, and the iron gate opened. Prayer places what we cannot control into the hands of the God who remains sovereign.

My Prayer Declaration

I will pray when I cannot see the answer.

I will pray when the door remains closed.

I will obey when God tells me to move.

I will trust God with what I cannot control.

I will intercede for others.

I will remember what God has already done.

And when God answers, I will give Him the glory.


Comments

Visitors