2 Samuel 7:18–19 — Who Am I, O Lord GOD? | David’s Prayer of Humility
Who Am I, O Lord GOD? — David’s Response to the Promise of God
Key Verse — 2 Samuel 7:18
“Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?” — 2 Samuel 7:18, KJV
Introduction
Second Samuel 7 records one of the most significant moments in the life of David. David desired to build a house for the LORD, but through the prophet Nathan, God revealed something far greater: God would establish a house for David.
This was not primarily a promise concerning a physical building. God was speaking about David's household, descendants, kingdom, and royal line.
After hearing God's promise, David went before the LORD and sat in His presence. His first response was not pride, boasting, or self-importance. Instead, David asked:
“Who am I, O Lord GOD?”
David understood that God's promises toward him were greater than anything he could claim to deserve.
Verses 18–19 therefore give us a beautiful picture of humility in the presence of grace. David looked backward at how far God had brought him and forward at what God had promised concerning his house.
God's goodness caused David to become more humble—not more self-exalting.
Opening Prayer
Father, thank You for every place from which You have brought me and every act of grace You have shown toward my life. As I study David's prayer, teach me to recognize Your hand without becoming proud. Give me a humble and thankful heart. Help me remember that everything I have received from You is because of Your goodness and purpose. May Your blessings draw me closer to Your presence and cause me to honor You more deeply. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Recall and Understanding
Read 2 Samuel 7:18–19 in its surrounding context.
1. What did David do after Nathan delivered God's message to him?
2. Where did David go?
3. What question did David ask concerning himself?
4. What did David ask concerning his house?
5. What did David recognize about how far he had come?
6. According to verse 19, was God's promise limited only to David's present circumstances?
7. What had God revealed concerning David's house in the future?
8. What does David's response reveal about his attitude toward God's promise?
Expository Insight
1. “Then Went King David In”
David had just received an extraordinary promise from God.
His response was to enter the presence of the LORD.
This is significant.
David did not immediately go before the people and announce how important his family would become. He went before God.
Promise led David into God's presence.
There is a spiritual principle here for every believer: when God blesses us, answers us, uses us, or entrusts something to us, our response should draw us toward Him, not toward self-exaltation.
When God blesses me, where does my heart turn first?
2. “And Sat Before the LORD”
David sat before the LORD.
The king of Israel placed himself before the King above him.
David possessed earthly authority, but in God's presence he recognized that he was still dependent upon the LORD.
Titles did not eliminate his need for God.
Position did not eliminate his need for God.
Success did not eliminate his need for God.
God's promises did not eliminate his need for God.
The greater David became publicly, the more important it was that he remember who he was before the LORD.
3. “Who Am I, O Lord GOD?”
David's question reveals humility.
Who am I?
David remembered that his present position was not where his story began. He had once been the shepherd tending his father's sheep. God had taken him from the sheepfold and appointed him ruler over Israel.
David therefore understood that his advancement was connected to the gracious activity of God.
His question was not necessarily self-rejection. It was recognition.
He was acknowledging the enormous difference between human deserving and divine grace.
True humility does not require us to deny what God has done.
True humility recognizes Who did it.
4. “And What Is My House?”
David's humility extended beyond himself to his family.
Why should his house receive such a promise?
God had declared that David's royal house would have significance beyond David's own lifetime.
David realized that he was standing inside something larger than his individual ambitions.
God's purpose could reach beyond one generation.
This teaches us that God's work in a person's life may have consequences that extend to children, families, ministries, communities, and generations yet to come.
We should therefore ask not only:
“What is God doing for me?”
but also:
“What does God desire to accomplish through my life for those who come after me?”
5. “Thou Hast Brought Me Hitherto”
The word hitherto points to the place David had reached:
God had brought him this far.
David looked at his present position and recognized a history of divine involvement.
He remembered the sheepfold.
He remembered opposition.
He remembered battles.
He remembered Saul's pursuit.
He remembered wilderness seasons.
He remembered waiting.
Now he was sitting before the LORD as king.
When David looked backward, he could see that his journey contained evidence of God's faithfulness.
Sometimes we become so concerned about where we are going that we forget to thank God for how far He has already brought us.
Complete this sentence:
“Lord, when I look back, I can see that You brought me through...”
6. “This Was Yet a Small Thing in Thy Sight”
David recognized that what God had already done was enormous from his human perspective.
Yet God was revealing something even greater.
David had experienced God's goodness in the present, but God's promise extended into the future.
God was not finished.
This teaches us not to measure the full purpose of God only by what we can presently see.
Our present chapter may be important without being the entire story.
7. “For a Great While to Come”
God spoke concerning David's house into the future.
This introduces an important biblical theme: the Davidic covenant.
God promised continuity to David's royal line. As biblical revelation develops, this promise becomes deeply connected with the expectation of the Messiah.
The New Testament identifies Jesus Christ with the house and lineage of David.
Therefore, the promise David heard in 2 Samuel 7 ultimately reaches far beyond David's immediate lifetime.
David could see part of what God was doing.
God could see the whole purpose.
8. Grace Produces Humility
One of the strongest lessons from these verses is found in David's response to favor.
God gave David an extraordinary promise, but David did not respond:
“Look how great I am.”
His response was essentially:
“Who am I?”
That is what grace should produce.
The more clearly we recognize what God has done, the less reason we have for boasting in ourselves.
Blessing should produce gratitude.
Promotion should produce humility.
Promise should produce worship.
Grace should produce reverence.
Personal Application
1. When I look back over my life, where can I clearly recognize God's hand?
2. What has God brought me through that I should remember with gratitude?
3. Has God's blessing made me more dependent upon Him or more dependent upon myself?
4. What does David's question, “Who am I?” teach me about humility?
5. Is there something God has placed in my life that may benefit people beyond my own generation?
6. How can I respond to God's goodness without becoming prideful?
7. What promise or purpose of God am I presently trusting even though I cannot see its complete fulfillment?
Look Back and Remember
Where I started:
What God brought me through:
What God taught me:
Where God has brought me now:
What I am trusting God for next:
What I want the next generation to receive from my faithfulness:
Key Truth
David's response to God's promise was not self-exaltation but humility. He remembered where he had come from, recognized that God had brought him this far, and understood that God's purpose extended beyond his own lifetime. When we truly recognize grace, God's blessings should produce gratitude, humility, worship, and deeper dependence upon Him.
Remember
God brought me this far.
Grace gives me no reason to boast in myself.
God's purpose can extend beyond my lifetime.
His promises should draw me into His presence.
The proper response to divine favor is humble gratitude.

Comments
Post a Comment