John 20 :29 - Blessed Are They That have Not Seen | John Bible Study

“Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” — John 20:29, KJV


Introduction

John 20:29 comes from Jesus’ encounter with Thomas after the resurrection.

When the other disciples told Thomas that they had seen the risen Lord, Thomas struggled to accept their testimony without physical evidence. He wanted to see the wounds of Jesus for himself.

Eight days later, Jesus appeared again while Thomas was present. Jesus addressed Thomas directly and invited him to examine the evidence he had requested. Thomas responded with a powerful confession:

“My Lord and my God.”

Jesus then spoke beyond Thomas to generations of believers who would come afterward:

“Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

Jesus was not commending ignorant or baseless belief. The Gospel itself provides testimony concerning His words, works, death, and resurrection so that others might believe. John immediately explains that these things were written so that the reader might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

We have not physically stood in the room with the risen Christ as Thomas did, yet we are called to trust the testimony God has given concerning His Son.

Faith therefore does not mean pretending there is no evidence.

It means trusting Christ even though we have not physically seen Him with our own eyes.


Opening Prayer

Father, thank You for the testimony You have given concerning Jesus Christ. Strengthen my faith when I cannot see everything I desire to see. Teach me to trust Your Word, Your character, and Your promises. When questions arise, lead me into truth rather than unbelief. Help me confess Jesus not merely with my mouth but through a life of faithful obedience. May my confidence remain anchored in Christ even when I cannot see what You are doing. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Recall and Understanding

Read John 20:24–31.

1. Which disciple was absent when Jesus first appeared to the gathered disciples?



2. What did the other disciples tell Thomas?



3. What evidence did Thomas say he wanted before believing?



4. How many days later were the disciples gathered again?



5. Who was present with them this time?



6. How did Jesus respond to Thomas’ request for evidence?



7. What confession did Thomas make concerning Jesus?



8. Who did Jesus call blessed in John 20:29?



9. According to John 20:30–31, why did John record the signs contained in his Gospel?




Expository Insight

1. Thomas Had Not Been Present

Thomas had not been with the disciples when Jesus first appeared to them after His resurrection.

The others had experienced something Thomas had not personally experienced.

They could say:

“We have seen the Lord.”

Thomas could not say that yet.

This helps us understand his struggle. There was a difference between hearing someone else's testimony and personally seeing what they had seen.

Yet Thomas’ story also prepares the Gospel reader for an important truth:

Future believers would also hear testimony about Jesus without physically seeing the risen Christ.


2. “Except I Shall See”

Thomas wanted visible and physical confirmation.

He wanted to see the wounds.

He wanted to examine the evidence personally.

His response reveals something common to humanity:

We often want sight before trust.

We may say:

“I will believe when I see the answer.”

“I will trust God when the situation changes.”

“I will have confidence when I understand everything.”

But biblical faith sometimes requires trusting God while the answer remains unseen.


3. Jesus Came to Thomas

Eight days later, Jesus appeared again.

Thomas was present.

Jesus knew exactly what Thomas had said.

He addressed the very evidence Thomas had demanded.

This demonstrates that Jesus did not ignore Thomas’ struggle. He confronted it and called him toward faith.

Questions do not have to drive us away from Christ.

They can become invitations to search the Scriptures, examine the testimony concerning Jesus, pray for understanding, and grow in faith.


4. “Be Not Faithless, but Believing”

Jesus did not intend for Thomas to remain in unbelief.

Thomas had reached a point where he needed to respond to the truth placed before him.

There is a difference between asking sincere questions and continually refusing to believe despite sufficient testimony.

Faith does not require us to stop thinking.

Biblical faith calls us to respond appropriately to what God has revealed.


5. “My Lord and My God”

Thomas’ response is one of the strongest confessions concerning Jesus in the Gospel of John:

“My Lord and my God.”

The disciple who had demanded evidence now personally confessed who Jesus was.

Notice that Thomas did not merely say:

“I now believe that You are alive.”

His confession concerned the identity and authority of Jesus.

True faith is therefore more than believing that certain events happened.

Biblical faith leads us toward personal allegiance to Christ.

He is not merely the Lord.

Thomas said:

“My Lord.”


6. “Because Thou Hast Seen Me”

Thomas believed after seeing Jesus.

He received the physical confirmation he had requested.

But Jesus then directed attention toward another group of people—those who would believe without the same physical experience Thomas received.

This includes generations who would receive the apostolic testimony concerning Christ.

They would not place their hands upon His wounds.

They would not physically stand beside the empty tomb.

They would not sit in the room with Thomas.

Yet they would believe.


7. “Blessed Are They That Have Not Seen”

Jesus pronounced a blessing upon those who believe without physically seeing Him.

This is not a celebration of blind gullibility.

John immediately explains that he recorded signs concerning Jesus so that his readers could believe.

The believer therefore has testimony.

We have the witness of Scripture concerning:

The ministry of Jesus.

His teaching.

His miracles.

His crucifixion.

His resurrection.

His appearances to His disciples.

The testimony of those who saw Him.

Christian faith is not based upon our personally seeing the historical events.

It rests upon trustworthy testimony concerning what God has done through Jesus Christ.


8. Faith Does Not Require Seeing Everything First

John 20:29 has application beyond Thomas’ immediate situation.

Believers frequently walk through circumstances in which they cannot see what God is doing.

We may not see:

How the prayer will be answered.

How the provision will come.

How the situation will change.

How God's purpose will unfold.

How long the waiting will continue.

Faith says:

“I do not see everything, but I know the One in whom I have believed.”

Our confidence is not based upon having complete visibility into the future.

Our confidence rests in the character of God.


9. The Written Word and Faith

John 20:30–31 is essential to understanding verse 29.

John explains that Jesus performed many other signs, but the ones recorded in the Gospel were written with a purpose:

That people might believe.

This establishes a powerful relationship:

The testimony is written → the Word is received → faith responds → life is found in Christ.

We were not physically present with Thomas.

But God has not left us without testimony.

He has given us the written witness concerning His Son.


Personal Application

1. What does Thomas’ experience teach me about doubt and faith?



2. Have I ever told God, in effect, “I will believe when I see”?



3. What am I presently trusting God for that I cannot yet see?



4. How does Scripture strengthen my faith when circumstances remain uncertain?



5. What is the difference between blind belief and faith grounded in God's revealed Word?



6. What does Thomas’ confession, “My Lord and my God,” mean to me personally?



7. Am I following Jesus only when I understand what He is doing, or will I trust Him when I cannot see the outcome?



8. What truth about Christ do I need to hold firmly today?




When I Cannot See

What I cannot see right now:



What God's Word has already shown me:



What fear is telling me:



What faith says:



What I know about God's character:



How I will continue walking by faith:




Key Truth

Jesus pronounced a blessing upon those who have not physically seen Him and yet believe. Christian faith is not dependent upon personally witnessing the resurrection as Thomas did. God has given us the testimony of Scripture concerning Jesus Christ so that we may believe. When we cannot see what God is doing, faith continues to trust the One whose character and Word remain sure.

Remember

Thomas saw and believed.

We have received the testimony and are called to believe.

Faith is not the absence of questions.

Faith does not require seeing every answer beforehand.

God's Word gives testimony concerning His Son.

When sight is limited, faith remains anchored in Christ.



Comments

Visitors