John 4:14 - Well of Living Water | John Bible Study
“But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” — John 4:14, KJV
Introduction
John 4 records Jesus' remarkable conversation with a Samaritan woman at Jacob's well. She came seeking ordinary water, but Jesus began speaking to her about something far greater—living water.
The woman understood water naturally. She knew the daily necessity of coming to the well, drawing water, carrying it home, and eventually returning because physical thirst would come again.
Jesus used this familiar necessity to reveal a spiritual truth.
The water from Jacob's well could satisfy physical thirst temporarily. The water Jesus gives produces something entirely different. He described it as becoming “a well of water” within the person, springing up into everlasting life.
Jesus was directing her attention away from an external water supply toward the spiritual life that comes from God.
John 4:14 therefore invites us to examine a profound question:
What are we depending upon to satisfy the deepest thirst of the soul?
Opening Prayer
Father, thank You for sending Jesus Christ, the giver of living water. As I study His words, open my spiritual understanding. Show me the difference between temporary satisfaction and the everlasting life that comes from You. Remove every substitute I have allowed to occupy the place that belongs to You. Create within me a continual desire for Your presence, Your Word, and Your Spirit. Let the life You give flow through me and bring glory to Your name. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Recall and Understanding
Read John 4:7–14 for the surrounding context.
1. Where was Jesus when this conversation took place?
2. Who came to the well to draw water?
3. What did Jesus initially ask the woman to give Him?
4. What kind of water did Jesus tell the woman He could give?
5. According to John 4:13, what happens to those who drink ordinary water?
6. According to verse 14, what did Jesus say concerning the person who drinks the water He gives?
7. Where does the water Jesus gives become a well?
8. What does this water spring up into?
Expository Insight
1. “Whosoever Drinketh” — A Personal Invitation
Jesus uses the word “whosoever.”
His statement extends beyond the Samaritan woman standing before Him. The invitation concerns anyone who receives what Christ gives.
The woman had come to draw from Jacob's well, but Jesus was offering something that no earthly well could provide.
Physical water could enter her body.
Living water would transform her inner life.
Jesus was moving the conversation from the natural to the spiritual.
2. “The Water That I Shall Give”
Jesus presents Himself as the giver.
The living water is not something the woman could draw for herself.
She could bring her waterpot.
She could lower it into Jacob's well.
She could pull ordinary water upward.
But what Jesus offered had to be given by Him.
This teaches an essential truth about salvation:
Everlasting life is received from Christ; it is not produced by human effort.
Human achievement cannot manufacture spiritual life.
Religious activity cannot replace spiritual life.
Earthly possessions cannot produce everlasting life.
Christ gives what the human soul cannot produce for itself.
3. “Shall Never Thirst” — Beyond Temporary Satisfaction
Ordinary water satisfies temporarily.
A person drinks and eventually becomes thirsty again.
Jesus uses that natural cycle to reveal the limitations of earthly satisfaction.
People continually attempt to satisfy inward thirst through things such as:
Possessions
Recognition
Relationships
Success
Entertainment
Achievement
Status
Approval from others
These things may have legitimate places in life, but none can provide what only God can give.
Jesus was offering satisfaction at the deepest spiritual level.
4. “Shall Be in Him” — An Inward Work
One of the most important expressions in John 4:14 is:
“in him.”
The living water would not simply remain something external that the person repeatedly visited.
Jesus described an internal source.
The woman was accustomed to traveling to a physical well whenever she needed water.
Jesus spoke of something God would establish within.
This points us toward the inward work of God in the believer.
Christian life is not merely external religious behavior. God works within His people, transforming the heart and producing spiritual life.
5. “A Well of Water” — An Abiding Source
Jesus does not describe a few drops of water.
He describes a well.
A well represents a continuing source.
This imagery communicates abundance and continuity.
The life Christ gives is not merely a temporary emotional experience. It is a new spiritual reality rooted in relationship with Him.
The believer's ultimate source is therefore not changing circumstances.
Christ is the source.
6. “Springing Up” — Living and Active
The water is described as springing up.
This is not stagnant water.
It is living, active, moving water.
The expression communicates vitality.
Where Christ gives spiritual life, something new has begun.
There should be evidence of that life in the believer's:
Faith.
Character.
Desires.
Obedience.
Worship.
Love.
Service.
Spiritual growth.
Living water is meant to produce a living response.
7. “Into Everlasting Life”
Jesus ultimately connects the living water with everlasting life.
The conversation therefore reaches far beyond physical thirst.
Jesus is speaking about life that originates in God and extends beyond temporal existence.
The Samaritan woman came concerned about the water needed for that day.
Jesus spoke to her about eternity.
This is one of the great movements in John's Gospel:
From the earthly to the heavenly.
From the temporary to the eternal.
From natural life to spiritual life.
From physical thirst to everlasting life.
8. From Jacob's Well to Christ
Jacob's well had historical significance.
But Jesus stood beside that ancient well offering something greater.
This creates an important contrast:
Jacob's well supplied water from the earth.
Jesus gives living water from God.
One satisfied physical thirst.
The other gives everlasting life.
The woman had come carrying a vessel to receive water.
Jesus was preparing her to understand that her own soul was the vessel in need of what He could give.
Personal Application
1. What does “living water” teach me about what Jesus gives?
2. What temporary things have I sometimes expected to satisfy needs that only God can satisfy?
3. What is the difference between external religion and God's inward work in a believer?
4. In what areas of my life do I need to depend more fully upon Christ as my source?
5. What evidence of spiritual life should be “springing up” within me?
6. How does John 4:14 deepen my understanding of everlasting life?
7. What am I spiritually thirsty for today?
8. How can I draw closer to Christ rather than seeking satisfaction from temporary substitutes?
Examine the Wells I Drink From
When I need comfort, where do I turn?
When I feel empty, what do I reach for?
When I need direction, whose voice do I seek?
When I am spiritually dry, what do I do?
What temporary “well” do I need to stop depending upon?
How will I intentionally seek Christ this week?
Key Truth
Jesus offers what no earthly source can provide. The living water He gives reaches beyond temporary satisfaction and becomes an inward well springing up into everlasting life. Christ does not merely satisfy a momentary spiritual thirst—He becomes the believer's enduring source of spiritual life.
Remember
Jesus is the giver of living water.
Earthly wells satisfy temporarily.
Christ gives what the world cannot supply.
The work of God reaches the inner person.
Living water produces living faith.
The water Christ gives springs up into everlasting life.

Comments
Post a Comment