“Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.” — Revelation 1:3, KJV
Introduction
The Book of Revelation opens with a remarkable blessing. Before the visions unfold, before the messages to the seven churches are given, and before the prophetic events are described, the reader is told that there is a blessing connected with receiving this prophecy.
Revelation 1:3 identifies three important responses:
Read. Hear. Keep.
The blessing is not presented merely for possessing the written Word or becoming knowledgeable about prophecy. God's Word is intended to be read attentively, heard receptively, and kept faithfully.
To “keep” what is written carries the idea of holding firmly to it, guarding it, taking it seriously, and ordering one's life in response to it.
This makes Revelation intensely practical. Prophecy is not given merely to satisfy curiosity concerning future events. It calls God's people to faithfulness, endurance, worship, obedience, discernment, and readiness.
The question is therefore not simply:
“Do I understand everything I read?”
We must also ask:
“What am I doing with what God has already made clear?”
Opening Prayer
Father, thank You for giving us Your Word. Give me understanding as I read, spiritual ears as I hear, and an obedient heart to keep what You have spoken. Deliver me from reading Scripture merely to gather information. Let Your Word correct me, strengthen me, instruct me, and transform the way I live. As I study Revelation, help me keep my attention upon Jesus Christ and remain faithful to Your truth. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Recall and Understanding
Read Revelation 1:1–3.
1. Whose revelation is introduced in Revelation 1:1?
2. To whom was the revelation given to show what must take place?
3. Through whom was the revelation communicated to John?
4. What three responses appear in the blessing of Revelation 1:3?
5. Who is called blessed in connection with reading?
6. What are the hearers instructed to do with the words they hear?
7. Does the verse stop with reading and hearing? Explain.
8. What reason is given at the conclusion of verse 3?
Expository Insight
1. “Blessed Is He”
The verse begins with a declaration of blessing.
Biblical blessing is deeper than temporary happiness. It describes the favor and spiritual benefit associated with living in proper relationship to what God has revealed.
The blessing of Revelation 1:3 is connected to a person's response to God's Word.
This immediately establishes an important principle:
God did not give Revelation merely to be admired; He gave it to be received.
2. “He That Readeth”
The first action is reading.
In the setting of the early churches, Scripture could be read aloud before the gathered congregation while others listened. This helps explain the distinction between the one who reads and those who hear.
Yet the principle remains important for every generation.
Reading Scripture requires intentional engagement with the text.
We should observe:
What does the passage actually say?
Who is speaking?
Who is being addressed?
What is happening?
What warning is being given?
What promise is being made?
What does the passage reveal about God?
What response does the passage require?
Careful reading protects us from building conclusions upon words Scripture never actually says.
3. “They That Hear”
Biblically, hearing involves more than sound reaching the ear.
A person can physically hear Scripture while remaining inwardly resistant to its message.
Spiritual hearing requires receptivity.
The question is not merely:
“Did I hear the sermon?”
It is:
“Did I receive what God's Word was saying?”
We must be willing for Scripture to challenge our assumptions, expose error, correct behavior, strengthen faith, and change our direction.
4. “The Words of This Prophecy”
Revelation identifies itself as prophecy.
Biblical prophecy does more than communicate information about coming events. Prophetic revelation calls God's people to respond rightly to God in light of what He has revealed.
Revelation contains:
Warnings.
Promises.
Judgments.
Calls to repentance.
Encouragement to endure.
Scenes of heavenly worship.
Declarations concerning Christ's authority.
The defeat of evil.
The triumph of God's purposes.
The coming of Christ.
The final renewal of God's creation.
Therefore, studying prophecy should strengthen faithfulness, not merely increase curiosity.
5. “And Keep Those Things”
This is the crucial third movement:
READ → HEAR → KEEP
Reading gives us access to the words.
Hearing receives the message.
Keeping demonstrates our response.
To keep God's Word means that we do not treat it casually. We treasure it, guard it, remember it, obey it, and remain faithful to what God has revealed.
A person can read much Scripture and still refuse to obey it.
A person can hear many sermons and remain unchanged.
Biblical knowledge reaches its intended purpose when truth becomes part of the believer's life.
6. Revelation Was Meant to Be Read
Some believers avoid Revelation because they consider it too difficult, mysterious, or frightening.
Yet the opening chapter specifically pronounces blessing upon the reading and hearing of this prophecy.
This does not mean every symbol will immediately be easy to understand.
It does mean we should approach the book prayerfully rather than fearfully.
Revelation repeatedly directs our attention toward Jesus Christ—His authority, His testimony, His victory, His kingdom, and His coming.
The purpose is not to create fear in the faithful believer.
The book repeatedly calls God's people to faithfulness and endurance.
7. Reading Without Keeping
There is an important warning within this verse.
Bible study can become purely academic.
We can learn:
Historical backgrounds.
Word meanings.
Prophetic symbols.
Timelines.
Doctrinal terminology.
Cultural settings.
All these can assist serious Bible study.
But none can substitute for obedience.
If studying Scripture makes us more knowledgeable without making us more faithful, something essential has been missed.
The goal is not simply:
“I know more Scripture.”
The deeper goal is:
“I am living more faithfully according to what God has revealed.”
8. “For the Time Is at Hand”
The final statement gives urgency to the passage.
God's people are not instructed to live carelessly as though His purposes will never reach fulfillment.
Biblical expectancy should produce readiness.
Readiness should produce faithfulness.
Faithfulness should produce obedience.
The proper response to prophetic truth is therefore not panic or speculation.
It is steadfast devotion to Christ.
Personal Application
1. Do I approach Bible reading as a responsibility, a privilege, or both?
2. What is the difference between physically hearing Scripture and spiritually receiving it?
3. Am I regularly reading God's Word for myself?
4. What has God already shown me in Scripture that I need to obey more faithfully?
5. Do I study prophecy mainly from curiosity, or does it encourage me to live faithfully before God?
6. Is there an area where I have been hearing God's Word but resisting its correction?
7. How should the return and authority of Christ affect the way I live today?
8. What truth from God's Word will I intentionally “keep” this week?
Read — Hear — Keep
READ
What did the passage actually say?
HEAR
What truth is God bringing to my attention?
KEEP
What must I do in response to that truth?
REMEMBER
What truth do I need to carry with me?
SHARE
What truth can I faithfully teach or encourage someone else with?
Key Truth
Revelation 1:3 pronounces a blessing connected with reading, hearing, and keeping the words of the prophecy. God's Word was never intended merely to increase our information. It calls for a response. We read to understand, hear with receptive hearts, and keep the Word by allowing its truth to shape our faith, conduct, worship, endurance, and obedience.
Remember
Read the Word carefully.
Hear the Word receptively.
Keep the Word faithfully.
Let prophecy produce faithfulness rather than speculation.
Knowledge should lead to obedience.
The blessing is connected not merely with reading the Word, but with receiving and keeping what God has spoken.

No comments:
Post a Comment