Luke 11:2 —Thy Kingdom Come: Learning to Pray According to God's Rule | Biblical Prayer Journal

“And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father
 which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.” — Luke 11:2 (KJV)

Introduction

Luke 11 begins with a disciple asking Jesus, “Lord, teach us to pray.” Jesus answered by teaching His disciples where prayer begins: with God Himself.

Before asking for daily bread, forgiveness, or deliverance, Jesus directs the heart toward the Father, His holy name, His Kingdom, and His will.

Prayer is therefore more than presenting God with a list of personal needs. Biblical prayer brings our desires under God's authority and teaches us to desire what He desires.

“Thy kingdom come” is not merely a request for something future. It expresses a longing for God's reign to be manifested and His purposes accomplished.


Expository Insight

“When Ye Pray”

Jesus says when, not merely if.

Prayer is expected to be a regular part of discipleship.

Jesus does not present prayer as a performance intended to impress people. Prayer is communion with God and dependence upon Him.


“Our Father”

Prayer begins with relationship.

Jesus teaches His disciples to approach God as Father.

This communicates:

Relationship • Dependence • Trust • Provision • Authority

God is loving Father, but He is also the One whose name is holy and whose Kingdom we seek.

Biblical intimacy with God never eliminates reverence.


“Which Art in Heaven”

God is Father, yet He is sovereign above creation.

He is not limited by earthly circumstances.

When we pray, we are addressing the One whose authority exceeds the problems we are bringing before Him.


“Hallowed Be Thy Name”

The Greek verb hagiazō means to:

Sanctify • Regard as holy • Set apart • Treat as sacred

We are asking that God's name be honored as holy.

This prayer should also affect our conduct.

If I pray:

“Hallowed be Thy name,”

then I should desire to live in a manner that honors the name I confess.


“Thy Kingdom Come”

The Greek word basileia refers primarily to:

Kingship • Reign • Rule • Royal authority

Therefore, praying for God's Kingdom means longing for God's reign to prevail.

We are praying:

King, rule here.

Rule my heart.

Rule my thinking.

Rule my desires.

Rule my relationships.

Rule my decisions.

Rule my service.

And ultimately, bring Your Kingdom to its promised fullness.


“Thy Will Be Done”

This is the language of surrender.

Prayer is not merely attempting to persuade God to accomplish my will.

Prayer transforms my heart until I can sincerely desire:

“Father, accomplish Your will.”

Jesus Himself demonstrated this submission in Gethsemane:

“Nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” — Luke 22:42


“As in Heaven, So in Earth”

Heaven provides the pattern:

God's authority recognized.
God's holiness honored.
God's purposes accomplished.

The prayer asks that God's will increasingly become reality on earth.

And that begins personally:

Let Your will be done in me.


Heart Examination

Is prayer primarily about my desires, or God's Kingdom?



Do I honor God's name through the way I live?



What area of my life needs to come under God's rule?



Is there something I want that I am struggling to surrender to God's will?



Can I sincerely pray, “Thy will be done”?



Thy Kingdom Come in Me

Father, rule over my thoughts:


Rule over my words:


Rule over my desires:


Rule over my relationships:


Rule over my ministry and service:


Rule over my decisions:



My Prayer

Our Father which art in heaven,

Hallowed be Thy name.

Teach me to approach You with both confidence and reverence. Let my life honor the holiness of Your name.

Thy Kingdom come.

Reign over my heart, thoughts, desires, relationships, decisions, and service. Remove everything within me that resists Your authority.

Thy will be done.

Where my desires conflict with Your purposes, teach me to surrender. Give me faith to trust that Your wisdom is greater than mine.

Let Your Word shape my prayers rather than allowing my desires alone to determine what I ask.

Father, establish Your rule in me so completely that my life becomes evidence that Jesus Christ is King.

Until Your Kingdom comes in its fullness, help me faithfully represent Your Kingdom here on earth.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

Personal Application

Today, before presenting my requests to God, I will begin prayer by honoring the Father, His name, His Kingdom, and His will. I will identify one area where I have been resisting God's authority and deliberately surrender it to Him.

The Area I Am Surrendering



Father, Your Will Concerning This Matter



Key Truth

Jesus teaches us that prayer begins with God's glory rather than our needs: His name honored, His Kingdom desired, and His will welcomed into our lives.

Prayer Journal

Father, what are You teaching me about prayer?



Where do I need Your Kingdom rule?



What personal desire must I surrender?



What does “Thy will be done” mean for me today?



My Prayer Today




Faith Declaration

My Father is in heaven. His name is holy. I desire His Kingdom and surrender to His will. May His rule begin in my heart and become visible through the way I live.




Comments

Visitors