He is the God of the Living - Christ's Victory over Death and the Grave
Introduction
Death is one of the realities that every human being must face, but Scripture teaches us that death does not have the final word. God reveals Himself as the God of the living, and through Jesus Christ He has given believers the hope of resurrection and eternal life.
Jesus declared:
“God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” — Matthew 22:32 KJV
The grave may receive the body, but it cannot overthrow the purpose and promise of God. Jesus Christ entered into death, rose again, and demonstrated that death could not hold Him.
The Christian hope, therefore, is not merely that life will somehow continue. Our hope rests in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and God's promise of resurrection to those who belong to Him.
God Is the God of the Living
In Matthew 22:23–33, the Sadducees approached Jesus with a question concerning resurrection. The Sadducees denied the resurrection, so their question was intended to challenge the doctrine.
Jesus answered them from the words God spoke to Moses:
“I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” — Matthew 22:32 KJV
Jesus then declared:
“God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”
Notice that God did not say, I was the God of Abraham. He said, “I am.”
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had physically died long before Moses stood before the burning bush, yet God's covenant relationship with them had not been erased by death.
Jesus used this truth to establish the reality of resurrection.
Death cannot cancel what God has promised.
Death Entered Through Sin
Death was not presented in Genesis as part of the blessing God pronounced upon His creation. Death entered the human experience through sin.
Romans 5:12 says:
“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
Adam's disobedience brought sin and death into the human condition.
But Scripture does not end with Adam.
The New Testament presents Jesus Christ as the One through whom righteousness, resurrection, and life come.
“For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” — 1 Corinthians 15:22 KJV
What entered through Adam does not have the final victory over those who are in Christ.
Jesus Christ Has the Keys of Death and Hell
After His resurrection, Jesus declared:
“I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” — Revelation 1:18 KJV
Jesus truly died.
Jesus was truly buried.
And Jesus truly rose again.
Death did not conquer Christ. Christ conquered death.
The One who entered the grave came forth alive and now declares that He possesses authority over death and the realm of the dead.
Therefore, believers do not place their hope in human strength, philosophy, or wishful thinking.
Our hope rests in a risen Saviour.
O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?
Paul describes the final victory God will accomplish through Christ:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.” — 1 Corinthians 15:54 KJV
Then comes the triumphant declaration:
“O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?” — 1 Corinthians 15:55 KJV
Death presently causes sorrow. Scripture does not deny the pain associated with losing someone we love.
But death's present reality is not the same as death's ultimate victory.
For those who belong to Christ, the grave is not the conclusion of God's redemptive work.
Paul continues:
“But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” — 1 Corinthians 15:57 KJV
The victory belongs to God, and it comes through Jesus Christ.
The Resurrection of Jesus Is Central to Our Hope
Christian faith depends upon the resurrection of Christ.
Paul writes:
“And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.” — 1 Corinthians 15:14 KJV
Christianity does not merely teach that Jesus gave good moral instructions or provided an inspiring example.
The gospel proclaims that Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again.
Because Christ lives, believers have resurrection hope.
Jesus said:
“I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:” — John 11:25 KJV
Resurrection is not merely something Jesus teaches.
He declares:
“I am the resurrection.”
Life is found in Him.
Christ Delivers From the Fear of Death
Hebrews explains another consequence of Christ's victory:
“And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.” — Hebrews 2:15 KJV
Fear of death can hold people in bondage.
But the believer knows that physical death cannot separate God's people from the life promised through Christ.
Our confidence is not that we will never experience physical death. Unless we are alive when Christ returns, physical death remains part of the present human condition.
Our confidence is that death cannot defeat the promise of resurrection.
Jesus has already gone through death and come forth victorious.
The Grave Does Not Have the Final Word
Graves remind us of human mortality.
But Scripture points beyond the grave.
Jesus said:
“Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,” — John 5:28 KJV
There is coming a resurrection.
The dead will not remain forever in their graves.
God's authority extends beyond human life, beyond physical death, and beyond the grave itself.
This is why the believer's hope is fundamentally different from hopelessness.
We grieve, but we do not have to grieve as though death has permanently defeated God's promises.
Christ's Victory Changes How We Live
Paul concludes his great teaching concerning resurrection with a practical command:
“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord...” — 1 Corinthians 15:58 KJV
Notice the word “Therefore.”
Because Christ has risen...
Because resurrection is certain...
Because death will be swallowed up in victory...
we should remain steadfast.
Resurrection doctrine is not merely information concerning what happens after death. It should affect how we live before death.
We can serve God faithfully because our labor in the Lord is not meaningless.
Personal Application
When I face sickness, aging, grief, or thoughts concerning death, I can remember that Jesus Christ is alive.
Death does not possess greater authority than God.
The grave cannot cancel God's promises.
I do not have to build my confidence upon what I can presently see. My confidence rests upon Jesus Christ, who declared:
“I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore.”
Because Christ lives, I can live faithfully today while looking forward to the fulfillment of God's resurrection promise.
Reflection Questions
Do I truly believe that Jesus Christ rose bodily from the dead?
How does Christ's resurrection affect the way I think about death?
Have I allowed fear of death to control any part of my life?
What does it mean for me personally that Jesus has the keys of death and hell?
How should resurrection hope change the way I live today?
Am I remaining steadfast in the work God has given me to do?
Closing Prayer
Father, I thank Thee for the hope Thou hast given through Jesus Christ. Thank Thee that death and the grave do not have the final victory. Thank Thee that Jesus died, was buried, rose again, and is alive for evermore.
Strengthen my faith when I face grief, uncertainty, sickness, aging, or fear. Help me remember that Thou art the God of the living. Teach me to live faithfully in the light of the resurrection and to remain steadfast, unmoveable, and always abounding in the work of the Lord.
My hope is in Jesus Christ, who is the resurrection and the life.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment