Jeremiah 31:6-9 Let's Go up to Zion - Going Up to Zion

The words you are remembering come from Jeremiah 31, especially verses 6 and 9. The KJV does not use the exact phrase “I will cause them to walk straight,” but it expresses that idea by saying God will lead His people “in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble.”

“For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.” — Jeremiah 31:6 KJV

And:

“They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.” — Jeremiah 31:9 KJV

Jeremiah 31 is a chapter of restoration, return, covenant mercy, and renewed relationship with God. Israel had experienced judgment and scattering because of covenant unfaithfulness, but God promised that judgment would not be the end of their story.

He would gather.

He would restore.

He would lead.

And His people would once again go “up to Zion unto the LORD our God.”

“Let Us Go Up to Zion”

Jeremiah 31:6 declares:

“Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.”

Zion refers to Jerusalem, particularly in its significance as the place associated with God's presence, worship, and covenant purposes.

The important words are:

“unto the LORD our God.”

Their destination was not merely geographical.

The deeper movement was back to God.

Israel's restoration was not simply about returning to land. God was restoring a people who had wandered from Him.

This is why the language of returning appears repeatedly throughout Jeremiah.

God does not merely want to change our location.

He wants to restore our relationship with Him.

“They Shall Come with Weeping”

Jeremiah 31:9 says:

“They shall come with weeping…”

Their return would involve tears.

But these are not necessarily tears without hope.

They are tears within a movement of restoration.

There are times when returning to God involves weeping because we finally recognize where we have been, what we have lost, or how far we have wandered.

Repentance can have tears.

Restoration can have tears.

Deliverance can have tears.

But notice what happens next.

God does not leave them weeping.

“With Supplications Will I Lead Them”

God declares:

“with supplications will I lead them…”

This is one of the most beautiful statements in the passage.

God Himself becomes their Leader.

The people who had wandered needed more than directions.

They needed someone to lead them.

And God says:

“I will lead them.”

There is a difference between knowing where you should go and having God lead you along the way.

Israel had experienced the consequences of walking according to its own desires.

Now restoration involves allowing the LORD to determine the path.

“I Will Cause Them to Walk”

God continues:

“I will cause them to walk…”

Notice the repeated divine action:

I will lead them.

I will cause them to walk.

The restoration is something God Himself is accomplishing.

They are returning, but God is leading.

They are walking, but God is directing the path.

They are moving toward Zion, but God is making the way.

This is a picture of divine guidance.

Sometimes we ask God to show us the entire journey when what we actually need is grace to walk the next part of the road He has placed before us.

“By the Rivers of Waters”

God says:

“I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters…”

The picture changes from the hardship of exile to the provision of God.

They will not be brought back along a path without provision.

God promises water along the journey.

Throughout Scripture, water frequently represents life, refreshing, provision, and blessing.

Psalm 23:2 says:

“he leadeth me beside the still waters.”

The Shepherd does not merely know the destination.

He knows what His people need along the journey.

God knows where the dry places are.

He knows when His people are weary.

He knows where refreshment is needed.

The God who leads also provides.

“In a Straight Way”

Then comes the phrase:

“in a straight way…”

This is likely the wording you were remembering as “I will cause them to walk straight.”

The idea is that God would provide a direct, level, reliable way for His returning people.

Their previous spiritual history had been characterized by wandering.

Now God promises a straight way.

There is a powerful spiritual principle here.

When we attempt to direct our lives independently of God, our paths can become complicated by sin, disobedience, and poor decisions.

But God's way is a straight way.

Proverbs 3:5–6 declares:

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”

“Wherein They Shall Not Stumble”

God continues:

“wherein they shall not stumble…”

God was not simply bringing His people out.

He was bringing them through.

The path He prepared would enable them to reach the destination.

This does not mean God's people will never experience difficulty. Jeremiah's audience certainly understood suffering.

Rather, the imagery emphasizes God's faithful guidance in accomplishing His restorative purpose.

What God begins, He is able to lead toward its appointed end.

“For I Am a Father to Israel”

Then God reveals why He will do this:

“for I am a father to Israel…”

Behind the restoration is relationship.

God does not merely say:

“I am their ruler.”

He says:

“I am a father to Israel.”

The Father sees His scattered children.

The Father gathers.

The Father leads.

The Father provides.

The Father brings them home.

This gives Jeremiah 31:9 its tenderness.

God's people are not wandering back alone.

Their Father is leading them home.

“Ephraim Is My Firstborn”

God adds:

“and Ephraim is my firstborn.”

Ephraim frequently represents the northern kingdom of Israel in the prophets. Although the northern tribes had suffered judgment and scattering, God had not forgotten His covenant purposes.

The language of “firstborn” emphasizes covenant relationship and privileged standing rather than biological chronology.

The people who had experienced judgment were not beyond God's ability to restore.

From Zion to the New Covenant

Jeremiah 31 becomes even more significant because later in this same chapter God announces:

“Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:” — Jeremiah 31:31 KJV

The chapter moves from gathering scattered people to God's promise of inward covenant transformation.

God says:

“I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts…” — Jeremiah 31:33 KJV

This is more than returning people to a geographical location.

God is working toward a restored people with transformed hearts.

The New Testament explicitly connects Jeremiah's New Covenant promise with the redemptive work fulfilled through Christ.

Personal Application

Jeremiah 31:6–9 gives encouragement to anyone who recognizes the need to return fully to God's direction.

Perhaps you know where God is calling you, but you do not know how you will get there.

Listen to the repeated promises:

“I will lead them.”

“I will cause them to walk…”

God does not merely point toward the road and abandon His people.

He leads.

When the road has been crooked, He can bring you into a straight way.

When the journey has been dry, He knows where the waters are.

When you are afraid of stumbling, He knows how to establish your steps.

When you have wandered, He knows the way home.

And when you come with tears, He does not despise the tears.

Jeremiah's picture is beautiful:

A scattered people are gathered.
A wandering people are led.
A thirsty people walk beside waters.
A stumbling people are given a straight way.
And a people far from Zion begin going home to the LORD their God.

The emphasis is not merely:

“I know where I am going.”

The greater confidence is:

“God is leading me.”

“Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.”

Comments

Visitors